#1 theeuphonyofsilence

theeuphonyofsilence

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Peace, Music, Love, and Laughter

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

I'm surprised to see this band go unmentioned. Their self-titled album is incredibly underrated, and you need to check it out now. It's solid metalcore with all these electronica elements, and the clean parts complement the heavy parts very well. I don't even like the singer's clean voice that much, but the music's too good for me to pass up.

http://www.myspace.com/skyeatsairplane

I might get a new asshole torn up from saying this, but at times it's very reminiscent of BTHATS. A lot more heavy, but the contrasting dynamics along with the synth sounds allow a slight comparison.

I'm also really interested in production these days, and this has to be one of the best sounding albums of the year. It's produced by the same guy that produced Artist in the Ambulance, both of the Circa Survive albums...etc.

#2 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

this isn't great.

#3 theeuphonyofsilence

theeuphonyofsilence

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:28 AM

But it is.

#4 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

dude this sounds exactly like every other fucking "post hardcore" band with crappy haircuts and singing/screaming on myspace. these dudes just realized it would be cool to make some beats and fuck with the arpeggiator in reason and overdub it on top of the songs. i'm not saying they aren't talented musicians, they could have just done something much more interesting with the whole synths/hardcore thing. this just reminds me of the red jumpsuit apparatus trying to do genghis tron.

to be fair, some of the parts are catchy, which i am all for. it's just nothing to cream over or warrant a BTHATS comaparison.

#5 theeuphonyofsilence

theeuphonyofsilence

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

I've heard that argument from someone else when I showed him this band. How it's nothing special or new, and it's pretty standard music with the whole electronica gimmick over it. But I don't know. I'll admit I'm relatively new to this genre since the first "post-hardcore" music I heard was BTHATS around a couple months before their last show. So I might have a shallow basis in thinking it's anything innovative, but I still haven't found a band that incorporates the electronica shit as well as these guys do. And even without any of this bullshit over ingenuity I still think the music is pretty inspired and well-written.

And as for the TREOS comparison, I might have gone a little too far comparing a rookie to a masterpiece, but the point was that their intentions were similar. In no way does this album hold up against BTHATS. It's like putting Pretty. Odd. up against Sgt. Pepper's. Kind of the same, but nowhere near a landmark album.

#6 Obvious

Obvious

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:20 AM

Om nom nom nom
Posted Image

#7 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:21 AM

im not really a fan of any of that style of band that i wasnt a fan of when i was 15 (nostalgia) and dance gavin dance (because they rule), so i don't really know if i could ever be impressed.

listen to 65daysofstatic if you want to hear the correct way to incorporate electronics with intense rock music.

#8 Brian S

Brian S

Stuck In The Middle Of Patience And Animosity

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

View Postlivingtogether, on Oct 20 2008, 01:26 AM, said:

this isn't great.

#9 Dakota

Dakota

Fell In Another Hole FORTHEKNIFEFORTHEKNIFE!!!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

View Postlivingtogether, on Oct 20 2008, 01:21 AM, said:

im not really a fan of any of that style of band that i wasnt a fan of when i was 15 (nostalgia) and dance gavin dance (because they rule), so i don't really know if i could ever be impressed.

listen to 65daysofstatic if you want to hear the correct way to incorporate electronics with intense rock music.

I lol'd.

65daysofstatic is very, very good music.

but intense is the wrong adjective, oh my goodness, the wrong adjective, it's just wrong.

no.

RUNONSENTENCEOUT

#10 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

DAKOTA GANT

#11 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

View PostDakota, on Oct 20 2008, 10:54 PM, said:

65daysofstatic is very, very good music.

but intense is the wrong adjective, oh my goodness, the wrong adjective, it's just wrong.

are we listening to the same band?

#12 JoeyEmoPants

JoeyEmoPants

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I'm Joseph a.k.a. Joey, Darkness, Seven, Token, Brown Bear, JoJo, J-Bo, etc.<br />I'm an oreo<br />I love God, music, and my friends and family.<br />I'm a christian, which doesn't mean I'm perfect or above anyone in any way.<br />Despite what people say, I say life is long: enjoy every single breath.<br />Don't call my Helio a phone.<br />Music is my life and passion:<br />I play guitar, piano, trumpet, and sing (dur).<br />These tunes are recorded in my bedroom.<br />I dare you to try me at Guitar Hero.<br />Ice cream is my only vice.<br />Dollarmenunair for life.<br /><br />&quot;Life isn't short, it's time that's fast.&quot;<br />-Marcel Pena [R.I.P. Bro]

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

i wasn't really a big fan of them til lately. i've know about them since they first came out since they use to do shows all the time in the area. here lately i've been listening to them more and liking them more.

their self-titled WAS really underrated, but i guess it's one of those love/hate albums for a love/hate band. if they still had Brack (old singer) instead of Jerry, i'd like it much more since Jerry's singing voice isn't all that great...

View Postlivingtogether, on Oct 20 2008, 12:21 AM, said:

they're pretty good, but very different from SEA (besides the electronics incorporation)
"Life isn't short, it's time that's fast."
-Marcel Pena [R.I.P. Bro]

Posted Image

#13 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

i know they are very different, which is why they are good and sky eats airplane isnt.

#14 mexico

mexico

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

The first EP (back when it was two dudes and a computer) was fucking awesome. I laughed, I cried, I came, and I called Bohan's mother back, it was so good. It was original (then. now every band with a two-bit haircut and a macbook tries to emulate it) and fun, plus the breakdowns were awesome.
then they put out this new cd and its such a sharp change into the generic. meh.
give me back the old two dude band and the creativity and the fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users