- - - - -

Album Review Threadthread of album reviews (forum members only)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hey so i love reading reviews for album before i buy/download them, whether they ar epositive or negative its all good.
So thought id start this thread, basically review any album/EP you want, just dont make it a one lined review, it's gotta be semi-professional haha.

Ill contribute my recent review of Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American (as im obsessed with it right now). Bias is fine btw. music is subjective and all.

--------------------------------------------------

If you are a human being and experiance emotions then go out and grab this album as soon as freaking possible. Jimmy Eat World's follow up to the massive cult hit "clarity" is nothing short of perfection. You obviously have been living under a rock if you never experienced the rediculously catchy pop single "the middle" (im talking to you Ashbee!)

It was an extremely over-played single, but hey, it sounds as fresh as it did back then and damned if you don't have your stereo at maximum capacity singing the chorus badly (like i do all the time!!!)

What I absolutely LOVE (and adore) (Ling Na) about this stunning album is that one second you are singing along to the catchiest, most adorable hook and a track later you are almost brought to tears by brilliant instrumentation and sincere, heart-felt lyrics (thankyou Jim Adkins btw). JEW (what an acronym) while diverse, stick to their own unique style of emotion, pop and in a couple of tracks all out rockin.

The opening track "Bleed American" is a no balls out, fast paced anti-drug anthem (prescription in this case) and it delivers something to melt your face off straight away. JEW throw you a curveball with the sing-a-long funnessness of "A Praise Chorus", and if you thought this was the only track you could exercise those vocal chords to think again - see "The Authority Song", "The Middle", "Sweetness" and "If you Don't, Don't".

However, catchy pop/rock is not the only thing JEW is good for, they can also write and perform one hellofa ballad. "Hear You Me" invokes something within me that can't be explained. When a song affects you to a point of no return like this particular one does it is simply amazing. The song to me is an ode to a close friend of Adkins (vocalist) who had passed away, and when Jim sings the line,

"And if i were with you tonight,
I'd sing for you just one more time,
A song for a heart so big,
God wouldn't let it live"

It doesn't get much better than that. period.

The album closes with "My Sundown" - and you know you have a good album where each song just outdoes the other (when the previous was thought to be not being able to be beaten). The closing track builds a nice denoument with the most pretty female vocals accomponying Adkins (which occurs on a few other numbers on the record) it is just a delight to let pass through your senses.

I do really recomend this album, for any listneer of all sorts (my step mum put this record on to me wtf) so it is something that will touch, invigorate and affect everyone. If you are willing, fork out the 35 dollars for the deluxe edition (the 3 bonus tracks on the origninal album and 18 bonus tracks on a second disk are well worth it - its much more sexier than a jewel case too!)

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#2 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

i wrote this a long time ago. Maybe too short

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Something about this album have a magical feeling of awesomeness, that I can't really describe. It feels as if the lead singer/guitarist Craig Finn is really talking to me...literally. It takes a couple songs to get used to Finn’s style of singing but you really catch on. There is so much emotion pouring out of Boys and Girls in America. With the first song on their album, “Stuck Between Stations”, it feels like a great first date, like everything is going right. This is pure rock medicine for the soul

#3 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

same with this one, kinda old

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

This album has been been called the best indie album of 2006, and I will agree with them. With the opening track, “The Crane Wife 3”, The Decemberists give us a good feel of what is to come. The Decemberists are not too soft, yet not too heavy, having the perfect blend, which is just right to the ears. The album really displays its naked self on “The Crane Wife 1 & 2”. The 11-minute 19-second epic shows what the album truly is. Starting soft, and gradually becoming louder until finally hitting a climatic utopia and then dying down. Then a majestically-sounding acoustic guitar starts and fills the song with notes that send tingles through my body. I can’t really describe it, but there is something about The Crane Wife that really brings out strong emotion from within the music and lyrics.

#4 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

I have some other ones, both i wouldn't consider them LATR style. Its like Incubus, John Mayer, RHCP, Love (Beatles), WOLFMOTHER. <- I'm posting that one

#5 wax wings

wax wings

The Swine Who Smiles

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

there's an edit button.

use it.

#6 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:20 AM

Hey fuck, no hate in my threads geez. haha.

Last.FM

#7 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

thats my bad, i did that without thinking...which makes me dumb. and im not a good writer

#8 frankthetank

frankthetank

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

This writing is very feeble, contains numerous stylistic errors, some grammatical/spelling errors and is pretty generic. I'm sorry. Great topic though...

#9 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

View Postfrankthetank, on Aug 28 2008, 08:54 AM, said:

This writing is very feeble, contains numerous stylistic errors, some grammatical/spelling errors and is pretty generic. I'm sorry. Great topic though...
we're not fucking professionals. its supposed to be amatuer

#10 frankthetank

frankthetank

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

View PostCrystalMeff, on Aug 28 2008, 05:38 PM, said:

I'm aware of that, Jeff. That doesn't, however, mean that I can't criticize it. :')

#11 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

View Postfrankthetank, on Aug 28 2008, 10:40 AM, said:

View PostCrystalMeff, on Aug 28 2008, 05:38 PM, said:

I'm aware of that, Jeff. That doesn't, however, mean that I can't criticize it. :')
then i guess the review did its job, to generate an opinion

#12 frankthetank

frankthetank

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Exactly.

#13 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

This threads going nowhere, so im gonna post all my ones from '06
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones / The Foo Fighters's first live album went to a softer side, playing their new songs from In Your Honor and old classics, from their ten years together, in an acoustic mood. While keeping many of their songs in an acoustic feel, some electric favorites stand out. "Times Like These", "Best Of You", and “Everlong” are all done in an acoustic. "Times Like These" is given an epic feel when a series of violins break out in the bridge. "Everlong" shines as the most emotional song on the album. The song really hits home, with an acoustic beginning, and ends with the familiar sound of Foo Fighter’s madness at the end. While some songs ("Best Of You") may not be better acoustic, there is still much charm in these classics.
The Slip - Eisenhower / Breaking away from their jam-band status in previous albums, The Slip provide an interestingly-written album in Eisenhower, the first of their kind. The first two tracks stand out as the best songs on the album. "Children of December" is written about how birthdays in December are lost behind Christmas and New Years. While the songs lyrics may be a little out there, the music really draws you in, and you can’t get out, and you truly don’t want to. The same applies to "Even Rats", there is something great about these two songs. Brad Barr (lead vocals/guitar/piano) really shines on these two songs perfectly blending with the music. While the rest of the album drifts from these songs, it is no doubt an excellent album that I had never experienced before. The Slip became known mainstream from the popular video game Guitar Hero. The Slip's "Even Rats" appeared in the game exactly a year before Eisenhower came out.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium / After a long four-year wait since their last album, By The Way, The Red Hot Chili Peppers released their highly anticipated two-disc album Stadium Arcadium. Looking back at their nine studio albums, including Stadium Arcadium, this is the most work they have done on one album. This two-disc monster contains 28-songs, which is enough to fill any diehard fan's dreams. The Red Hot Chili Peppers stick to two different types of songs throughout the album, much like the Foo Fighter's In Your Honor. They give homage to their By The Way album by doing the funk-rock, which they are famous for. They also have many rock ballads on Stadium Arcadium, sticking closely to their 1999 hit album Californication. I believe that this formula works very well for the Chili Peppers. I also do believe that, like the Foo Fighter’s In Your Honor, the two-disc should have been mixed into one disc. The album would have a bigger impact with a much stronger lineup than have fill-ins between great songs. The Red Hot Chili Pepper’s first single off the album was "Dani California", keeping their profound obsession with big hits named off the Sunshine State. In my opinion, "Snow Hey Oh" is a much stronger song mixing their funk-roots and rock ballad feel into one song. I think this would have been a much better first single, but what does it matter anyway
Incubus - Light Grenades / Incubus really pumps up their normal sound by incorporating tons of riffs into Light Grenades, by adding them on to Incubus’s strange-but-awesome chords and Brandon’ Boyd’s awesome voice. I, myself, have known Incubus as a psychedelic band depressing trying to break out and rock. On their break-out album Make Yourself, and song “Drive”, Incubus was close to that sound on songs like “Stellar”. I could feel it coming, their next studio album Morning View got even closer, with songs life “Nice To Know You”. But Light Grenades breaks the barrier with a fucking wrecking ball. “Quicksand” feels way to much like old-Incubus, and I think it is a weak beginning to the album. The album’s vibe starts to pick up in “A Kiss To Send Us Off”, leading us to the most beautiful song on the album “Dig”. This may be the best rock ballad of 2006. The musical build-up, the excellent lyrics about the bond between people, and perfect blend in the chorus pushes this ballad to the max. The follow-up “Anna Molly” still keeps the blood flowing but at a different speed. I’ll say this, some parts of songs really make me want to got crazy when listening to them (like the beginning of “Woman” by Wolfmother lol). The first time I listened to Anna Molly, I could sense one of these magical parts. With the gradually-louder sixteenth-note snare beats, the guitar solo, and the perfect harmony all at once, I could tell something was about to hit me. And then, a musical orgasm hit me. That part is unbelievable, some of the best moments of the album. While I don’t like to categorize bands, any Red Hot Chili Peppers fan will really appreciate this album. Songs like “Rogues” have that RHCP funk-riff feel. An alternative music must-have.
Wolfmother - Wolfmother / There are too many good things about this album. When I first heard "Dimension" (from a free download from iTunes) they had finally brought back what I loved...pure rocking. From the explosive opening to “Woman”, to the organ solo in “Mind’s Eye”, to the flute in “Witchcraft”, Wolfmother really gets the perfect formula delivering a great rock album. While most of their songs have the heavy riffs and power chords, they really shine on the Zeppelin-like ballads like "Vagabond". This song finds its roots from Zeppelin classics “Going To California” and “Four Sticks”. The album, Wolfmother, contains a series of heavy riffs and chords, and then rock ballads to back them up, helping this Australian power-trio blow into the rock spotlight.

now fucking criticize my 11th grade musically mindset and writing.

#14 clarissa

clarissa

The Only One That Didn’t Fold

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

Jeff, i liked your review of Light Grenades.

#15 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:55 AM

View Postclarissa, on Aug 28 2008, 10:59 AM, said:

Jeff, i liked your review of Light Grenades.
i love you clarissa

#16 Scott

Scott

Stapp

• Mod
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

View PostKeagan, on Aug 28 2008, 11:44 AM, said:

Do it to it.

#17 clarissa

clarissa

The Only One That Didn’t Fold

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

Mend this careless thread, it's gone askYOOOOOOOOOO oooh

;)

#18 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

lol threads gone wayward, ill post my review on bear vs shark tomorow, or if i write it today lol

Last.FM

#19 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

did i ruin this one? Cause im just doing what the thread title says

#20 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

no, ur progressing it slightly, i think its just all the chatting inbetween reviews....oh fuck thats us. oh well.

Last.FM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users