• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Silver

Silver

Don't lose sleep over little old me

• Silver's Nichols and Dyms
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Creating, Laughing, Sleeping, Dreaming.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

I am absolutely appalled that after searching and searching, there was no thread for RAGC. You all sicken me.

But anyway! Let's talk about the story now that the final album is out (and great).

So does anyone have a good overview of the story and what songs related to what? WeAreDormin had a pretty good thread about the Acts that did something similar, and I've always wanted something like that for RAGC.

#2 Therefore I let Them Pass

Therefore I let Them Pass

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Many things, not the least of which is football, psychology, philosophy, arguing, listening to music, fantasy, sci-fi, reading, writing, learning, and maybe a dash of making people mad/cry.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

I think that this is a good starting point, http://www.myspace.c.../blog/314171859

#3 Silver

Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostTherefore I let Them Pass, on 25 June 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I think that this is a good starting point, http://www.myspace.c.../blog/314171859

Ah yes, I've read this before and it was definitely helpful. I just wish there was more :(

#4 Therefore I let Them Pass

Therefore I let Them Pass

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Many things, not the least of which is football, psychology, philosophy, arguing, listening to music, fantasy, sci-fi, reading, writing, learning, and maybe a dash of making people mad/cry.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

What I'm pretty sure about is that "I was a cage" coincides with the sailor's return home to see his wife and brother laying asleep in the same bed and how it still cuts him deep, even though he knew about the tryst while he was away. The Sailor then he sneaks up real close to them and from there we go into "blame", where the sailor strangles his brother to death, gently wakes his wife, and is tried and sentenced for it (which, in my opinion, is an incredible transition and was well worth the wait for the third album).

#5 papertigers

papertigers

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Can we just talk about the TI-83 lyrics!?

#6 charles

charles

oh i hate that guy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

I haven't heard it, but I still think its a self-reference.

what is the full line? garden, blindfolded man, ti-83?

mr. hull was on O'Brother's Garden Window, and MO's album is Simple Math. I haven't been able to pin the middle piece.

archon of nothing
and lord of dispersing
but i cannot keep
my cursive phalanges
from fucking cursing

#7 elledubs

elledubs

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

View Postcharles, on 27 June 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

mr. hull was on O'Brother's Garden Window, and MO's album is Simple Math. I haven't been able to pin the middle piece.

"The garden, a blind man, a TI-83"

I like where you're going with this, Chaw.... :)

Kellen and I are going to see RAGC with Casey next weekend in Akron Ohio - I'm pumped. Rumor is they will be playing Manchester, TDH, and RAGC. Between this concert and the the Anthony Green/TDH show, I'm not sure anything else can top it.

#8 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

SIGGITYFIGGITYFIGGITYFOOS

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Interests:fnord

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Wait, RAGC is a multi-album concept project?

Fuuuuck. You people know that gets my motor running. Why was I not pitched it as such earlier?

I hope to set an example. You know, for children and stuff.

#9 charles

charles

oh i hate that guy

• Admin
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Right sigs? I gotta catch up in a big way.

archon of nothing
and lord of dispersing
but i cannot keep
my cursive phalanges
from fucking cursing

#10 Old Henry

Old Henry

Triple Handsome Squidward

• Stretts' Bitches & Tits
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Interests:D&D, Playing music, FLCL, Skateboarding

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Concept albums - Andy Hull - Sailing and shit.

I'll be occupied for a while.

Posted Image

#11 RabbitRan

RabbitRan

Eddie Eddie Eddie

• Artistic Directors
  • 1,378 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Wow you guys. I could've sworn I've talked up RAGC before.
Jeez.
I talk about them all of the time in the MO thread, at least.
I've even done video covers.
Multiple ones.
I've even done (fan) artwork for 'em.

ANYWAY
I just received an amazing deluxe vinyl package in the mail courtesy of my amazing woman; oh golly, did it include some sweet swag indeed!
I'm also planning on catching the Baltimore date on the RAGC/Pizza tour latr this month, if anyone wants the high honor of meeting me face-to-face!

Also, this thread confuzzles me.
Are you guys seriously very lost on what the story is?
I'll sum it up:

The Bitter End:

Cut to a period between the 1500s and 1700s, where sailing and exploration are rampant, yet long distance correspondence is at a bare minimum, technology-wise.
A 'Sailor' catches his wife doing the dirty deed with his brother while he's going out the door on a voyage that'll last years, decides he'll keep it to himself for a tad bit (aka let it stew and boil inside of him for a few years at sea). A few signs of madness begin to manifest themselves. The titular Captain, who represents both a "father/good leading figure (the one person keeping him from completely toppling over the edge)", as well as representing "God (an unshakeable foundation of moral integrity)", suddenly dies (as pre-Victorian sailing types were wont to do), leaving his right hand man, the [barely competent and madness-prone] Sailor to take his place as Captain.

The Eventually Home:

The 'now' Captain is on the last stretch home of a 2 year 'tour', and is almost completely consumed with green jealous rage, suicidal madness, self loathing, etc.
Is very internally conflicted with what he should do once he actually arrives home.
VERY conflicted.
Album ends with him finally docked, standing over the sleeping figures he obsessed about over and over on the sea, at a loss about what to do next (I Was A Cage).

The Church of the Good Thief:

'Man' (Sailor, Captain, etc) is now on death row; he made a decision, and went through with killing his brother, rather than killing his wife, which was the plan he'd mused over constantly for years in isolation. Turns out he still loved her, and, (obviously), still wanted to know why she loved his brother more. He spends the rest of the album thinking over his life and the madness that possessed him, about where he'd gone wrong, and about where he's now headed;
He learns to accept his death.

#12 RabbitRan

RabbitRan

Eddie Eddie Eddie

• Artistic Directors
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

The middle piece is Andy Hull doesn't particularly care if his "concept album" lyrics all completely fit context/story wise; he's a songwriter that often makes up random phrases on the spot, and is a huge proponent of improvisation and in-the-moment writing.
However, since what he does write pretty much rings true completely with him, it then fits mood-wise with the story.
Basically, he writes and sings what sounds natural and comes naturally to him.

#13 charles

charles

oh i hate that guy

• Admin
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Can I change your username to Horse's Mouth?

archon of nothing
and lord of dispersing
but i cannot keep
my cursive phalanges
from fucking cursing

#14 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

SIGGITYFIGGITYFIGGITYFOOS

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Interests:fnord

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostRabbitRan, on 03 July 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

The middle piece is Andy Hull doesn't particularly care if his "concept album" lyrics all completely fit context/story wise; he's a songwriter that often makes up random phrases on the spot, and is a huge proponent of improvisation and in-the-moment writing.
However, since what he does write pretty much rings true completely with him, it then fits mood-wise with the story.
Basically, he writes and sings what sounds natural and comes naturally to him.

Oh. So it's a Coheed style concept album, aka not one at all?

"Hey guys I know this is a five album space story but I'm going to talk about my aunt's dementia for a while, I hope that's okay."

I hope to set an example. You know, for children and stuff.

#15 RabbitRan

RabbitRan

Eddie Eddie Eddie

• Artistic Directors
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Naw it is a bit better than Coheed in that regard, haha. It just has a loose feel.

#16 Mickey

Mickey

Son, Don't Be Afraid To Call On Those Who Love You Most.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter, video games and vinyl.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

I was a fan of RAGC! before I was even into Manchester Orchestra. You guys are lucky that you can listen to all three albums without having to wait 4 years to be able to listen to the last album in the story! D:

#17 Silver

Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostRabbitRan, on 03 July 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Well, it isn't exactly easy to understand, as you pointed out a few posts ago. I wouldn't say I'm confused, as I understand most of the first album, but mostly, I was just looking for clarity, or something similar to the Dear Hunter thread that gives a story description for each song.

The Bitter End:

Cut to a period between the 1500s and 1700s, where sailing and exploration are rampant, yet long distance correspondence is at a bare minimum, technology-wise.
A 'Sailor' catches his wife doing the dirty deed with his brother while he's going out the door on a voyage that'll last years, decides he'll keep it to himself for a tad bit (aka let it stew and boil inside of him for a few years at sea). A few signs of madness begin to manifest themselves. The titular Captain, who represents both a "father/good leading figure (the one person keeping him from completely toppling over the edge)", as well as representing "God (an unshakeable foundation of moral integrity)", suddenly dies (as pre-Victorian sailing types were wont to do), leaving his right hand man, the [barely competent and madness-prone] Sailor to take his place as Captain.

The Eventually Home:

The 'now' Captain is on the last stretch home of a 2 year 'tour', and is almost completely consumed with green jealous rage, suicidal madness, self loathing, etc.
Is very internally conflicted with what he should do once he actually arrives home.
VERY conflicted.
Album ends with him finally docked, standing over the sleeping figures he obsessed about over and over on the sea, at a loss about what to do next (I Was A Cage).

'Man' (Sailor, Captain, etc) is now on death row; he made a decision, and went through with killing his brother, rather than killing his wife, which was the plan he'd mused over constantly for years in isolation. Turns out he still loved her, and, (obviously), still wanted to know why she loved his brother more. He spends the rest of the album thinking over his life and the madness that possessed him, about where he'd gone wrong, and about where he's now headed;

Doesn't he arrive home at the end of The Bitter End? I'm Not Ready To Forgive You he talks about step onto the dock and seeing his family, and then falling back in love with her even though he doesn't want to. You and I should try to get a "Song by Song" description of the story going.

#18 Kellen-of-DelphiExpress

Kellen-of-DelphiExpress

The Noodler™

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, GO SABRES.
    Music, GO DEAR HUNTING!
    making my own music, playing soccer, hockey, golf, etc.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I got the deluxe 1000 made lyric book! also im pretty sure he comes back at the end of eventually home as well, but i can never figure out which song on the 2nd one he returns to sea (maybe he never does?)

#19 George Costanza

George Costanza

future NBA #1 overall draft pick

• Regulars
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I've been listening to the first two albums in the last few days. Not bad, but i can't stand Andy Hull's voice.
please be nice

#20 RabbitRan

RabbitRan

Eddie Eddie Eddie

• Artistic Directors
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostSilver, on 03 July 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostRabbitRan, on 03 July 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Well, it isn't exactly easy to understand, as you pointed out a few posts ago. I wouldn't say I'm confused, as I understand most of the first album, but mostly, I was just looking for clarity, or something similar to the Dear Hunter thread that gives a story description for each song.

The Bitter End:

The Eventually Home:

VERY conflicted.

Doesn't he arrive home at the end of The Bitter End? I'm Not Ready To Forgive You he talks about step onto the dock and seeing his family, and then falling back in love with her even though he doesn't want to. You and I should try to get a "Song by Song" description of the story going.

....the 2nd album is, literally, called "The Eventually Home". It was made clear on their (then) Myspace that the album was explicitly about returning home after being away for so long, knowing what The "Captain" knew.
I think the last track of The Bitter End is just about suddenly becoming the new Captain, in the midst of all of 'The Sailor"'s deep confusion and suicidal thoughts. "The Captain" was this father-like figure to him, the only thing keeping "The Sailor" from dropping completely into a sort of madness.

Actually, "The Bitter End" is described as being sort of a hybrid of 'a correspondence between the Sailor and his newly-revealed estranged wife', and an inner monologue about said subject. At its finale, the Captain, his only solid moral rock, mysteriously dies, leaving him in charge (a position he obviously doesn't deserve or need). "The Eventually Home" is about being on the last leg of the sea voyage home, and coping with that mentally, having not communicated with his wife about it at all for "AT LEAST" 2 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users