18 replies to this topic

#1 Redshift86

Redshift86

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:08 AM

All I've been listening to lately is drum and bass electronica. If any of you listen to to it, then you already know these two artists. Insane time signatures, grooves that come out of nowhere, synths that seem to be based on some weird algorithm, these all equal to Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares.

I'd say that AFX's best album, or at least most cohesive is probably drukqs. Check it out if you haven't. As for Venetian Snares, I'd probably suggest his newest album Detrementalist, or go back a little ways to Cavalcade of Glee.

#2 old kyle

old kyle

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Getting lost within my own subconscious as well as fapping it to your girlfriends n00dz.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Upload Detrementalist please.

My Downfall was a work of art.

Rossz Csillag Alatt Született is his best.

As for Aphex Twin, I enjoy "…I Care Because You Do" and the "Richard D. James" album.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

FULL SUPPORT OF THIS THREAD

two of my favorite artists of all time. unfortunately, detrimentalist kind of sucks balls. rossz csillag is definitely his most accessible/the best starting point.

as far as aphex goes, it's all so different that it's hard to pick. my personal favorite is drukqs but not many people agree with me since there's a lot of wierd filler (which i have come to enjoy). both selected ambient works are fucking works of art.

i am also quite a large fan of squarepusher, autechre, chris clark, the flashbulb (i uploaded it in the share thread).

#4 Redshift86

Redshift86

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:55 PM

I actually wasn't the biggest fan of the Hungarian album... It kind of sucks too, because Bela Bartok is one of my favorite composers. I think Venetian Snares best album is definately Cavalcade. It just showed a departure from his earlier stuff... mainly going from mainly 7/4 to 11/4. I really liked Detrementalist too... I love when he used his old school reggae and hip hop influences.

drukqs kicks so much ass it's almost sickening. I love how it goes from insane beats, to quiet decorative piano in a second. Beautiful.

Oh, and Squarepusher is a fucking genius.

#5 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:54 AM

yeah cavalcade definitely is great. swindon and vache are my fucking jams. i dont really go by album with vsnares though because every single one has tracks i love and tracks i hate. i'd say the best tracks are hajnal, masodik galamb, and ketsarku mozgalom off rossz, dance like you're selling nails off higgins, integraation off my downfall (which otherwise kinda sucked), and like half of winter in the belly of a snake. in fact i'd probably say that's my favorite album.

but yeah, i fucking love venetian snares. if you have any other breakcore req's please share.

#6 clarissa

clarissa

The Only One That Didn’t Fold

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

FLIM

/duh

#7 old kyle

old kyle

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Getting lost within my own subconscious as well as fapping it to your girlfriends n00dz.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

Venetian Snares version of "She" by the Misfits is lol worthy.
Posted Image

#8 Redshift86

Redshift86

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Let's see... Drop the Lime is pretty cool. Some people don't really say he's a breakcore artist because he hasn't made a straight up break record since This Means Forever. I'd suggest listening to that album first, then checking out his other stuff. I also really like Duran Duran Duran. Their stage shows are a little.... well, a little gay. The guy wears a Rainbow Brite outfit with clothes pins attached to his genitalia... pretty intense stuff, but don't let that turn you off to his music.

Stuff that's more influenced by rave music, like Knifehandchop, Kid 606, and Soundmurder are worth a listen as well.

#9 joesffseoj

joesffseoj

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

I was really into knifehandchop and kid606 for a while.

drukqs is far and away the LEAST cohesive album. In fact, it's the ONLY twin album, save maybe the come to daddy ep, that does not have a common musical trend running through it. And, i'm just going to say it, the prepared piano tracks are half-assed and it's obvious.

For effective "filler" tracks, nobody, NOBODY, does it like Boards of Canada.

Two Lone Swordsmen are recommended.
Posted Image

#10 Redshift86

Redshift86

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Ugh... Boards of Canada... WAAAAY too over rated...

#11 joesffseoj

joesffseoj

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

View PostRedshift86, on Jul 26 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

Ugh... Boards of Canada... WAAAAY too over rated...

seriously, you must be doing something wrong
Posted Image

#12 Guest_livingtogether_*

Guest_livingtogether_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

you're doing it wrong

#13 Redshift86

Redshift86

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hmm, still not convinced. Still over rated. Not a fan at all

#14 clarissa

clarissa

The Only One That Didn’t Fold

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

i prefer BOC to Venetian Snares. Venetian is too clink clank for me. BOC is more smooth and laid back.

#15 joesffseoj

joesffseoj

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

maybe you don't like them, but what makes you think they're overrated? They do a recognizably good job putting out unique music and rank high among electronic music listeners and beyond because of it. It's not like they get massively over-hyped and shoved down the throats of the masses like many assorted acts that put image or concept before the music. Whether you like them or not, it's easy to see they deserve the respect they get, so show some.
Posted Image

#16 Redshift86

Redshift86

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

View Postjoesffseoj, on Jul 27 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

maybe you don't like them, but what makes you think they're overrated? They do a recognizably good job putting out unique music and rank high among electronic music listeners and beyond because of it. It's not like they get massively over-hyped and shoved down the throats of the masses like many assorted acts that put image or concept before the music. Whether you like them or not, it's easy to see they deserve the respect they get, so show some.

The reason I say they are over rated is because they do get shoved down my throat. I'm pretty big into the electronica scene, and everytime I mention any sort of D n B act, or IDm, Boards of Canada gets brought up. I've really tried to get into them, and appreciate their music, I just don't hear anything too incredibly different from any other IDM act. Maybe it's because most IDM artists copy them, but that's also why I don't really like IDM any more.

I never once disrespected them, I just said they are overrated. I totally respect that they have been so influential, I just don't dig their music.

#17 joesffseoj

joesffseoj

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

You bring up something important. There's surprisingly little creativity in electronic music, which is why I respect boards for becoming a stand out act amongst copycats.

Have you ever listened to Keith Fullerton Whitman/Hrvatski?
Posted Image

#18 Redshift86

Redshift86

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

View Postjoesffseoj, on Jul 27 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

You bring up something important. There's surprisingly little creativity in electronic music, which is why I respect boards for becoming a stand out act amongst copycats.

Have you ever listened to Keith Fullerton Whitman/Hrvatski?

Future Music: What pisses you off about the current music scene?
Aphex Twin: Too many sheep and not enough shepherds. Let's all sit back and have a long hard think, then make something different! We can all do it, surely?

He said it best.

Yeah, I've listened to Hrvatski. I actually went to Berklee for a couple of semesters, and took some computer music classes so I studied his stuff pretty extensively. He's a brilliant musician. I really like what he's doing for avant garde music nowadays.

#19 joesffseoj

joesffseoj

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

i think the reason electronic music suffers is because the learning curve is so steep. There are so many technological possibilities that it's hard to know where to start. Also, making music in an entirely left-brain environment like the computer is simply a huge obstacle to creativity. I don't think you can passively create on a computer as effectively as you can with a guitar in your hands. So when aphex advises to sit back and think, he's right on the money.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users