• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#1 Keagan

Keagan

BREATHE IN! BREATHE OUT!!!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:Music and Women. Lots of women.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

What's good.

www.portugaltheman.net

www.myspace.com/portugaltheman

New Track listing for Censored Colors
1:Lay Me Back Down
2:Colors
3:And I
4:Salt
5:Created
6:Out and In In and Out
7:INTERMISSION
(the twenty-five)
8:New Orleans
9:Never PLeased
10:Sit Back and Dream
11:Hard Times
12:Our Times
13:All Mine
14:1989
15:Our way

Posted Image

#2 old kyle

old kyle

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Getting lost within my own subconscious as well as fapping it to your girlfriends n00dz.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Everyone and their mothers are releasing something about colors this year.
Posted Image

#3 AreJay

AreJay

Stuck In The Middle Of Patience And Animosity

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

Salt is going to be amazing
Posted Image

#4 nedstarksbastard

nedstarksbastard

Ms. Leading

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

i thoroughly enjoy how they have a new album every year. cant wait to catch em again with rx bandits. im gonna try and hit up at least 3 shows.

#5 Ajax

Ajax

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

new blog with a shitload of recommendations

delicious

#6 nedstarksbastard

nedstarksbastard

Ms. Leading

• Regulars
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

new album comes out september 16. yay!

#7 Keagan

Keagan

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Shits going to be amazing

Posted Image

#8 gay boobs

gay boobs

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

I love this band!

Church Mouth is such a fantastic record. I love Waiter: "You Vultures!" though it is more experimental.

Posted Image

View Postcasey crescenzo, on Jul 3 2008, 05:58 AM, said:

It would do people good to start using their mouths to speak again.

#9 Keagan

Keagan

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

July 30, 2008 - As the music industry continues to adapt to allow artists to be more involved in their careers - an act that was perhaps accelerated by Radiohead's most recent release - and the band's desire to cater more to their fans, Portugal. The Man and their label and publishing company, Approaching AIRBalloons, and Equal Vision Records have inked a unique agreement, it has been announced. The first release under this exceptional deal will be P.TM's third full-length CD, Censored Colors, set for a September 16, 2008 release.

One of the factors that makes this partnership so unique is that the members of Portugal. The Man will share in the risk as well as in the rewards with Equal Vision, something that is easier for a Platinum act (like Radiohead) than a developing artist.Having self-financed the "Censored Colors" album, and while they had other label options, P.TM welcomed the idea of having an "open canvas" with Equal Vision, where they could work at their own pace and be intimately involved in all factors of their recording career.

Under the mainstream radar, Portugal. The Man has garnered an incredible buzz with the release of two earlier full-length CDs, 2006's Walter: "You Vultures!" and 2007's Church Mouth (the latter of which debuted on the Billboard Top Alternative New Artists chart at luck #13), and three EPs, The Pines, the Devil (2006), Devil Say I, I Say Air (digital EP, 2006), and It's Complicated Being a Wizard (2007). They have amassed kudos from an array of media outlets like Filter ("Portugal The Man hasn't merely evolved from the avant-garde, neo-soul that shaped their earliest works, they've transcended it") and Alternative Press ("...it's the songs that truly set this band apart").

Portugal. The Man’s unique sound has its roots firmly in front man/songwriter John Baldwin Gourley’s abstract vision and unique upbringing. Gourley was raised in a remote log cabin on the outskirts of Wasilla, Alaska that was powered by a generator and had no phone. His mom and dad doubled as a team of dog sled musher's. Add in an extended period of homelessness, a love of science fiction and a desire to make music that does not sound like every other band, and the genesis of Portugal. The Man was formed. Gourley and childhood friend Zachary Scott Carothers formed P.TM in 2003 with Portland, OR’s Jason Sechrist joining in 2005. To this day, PTM employs a rotating cast of guest musicians outside of the core four. Gourley is also an accomplished visual artist having created the stunning artwork for the “Censored Colors” package as well as P.TM’s previous releases, tour posters, t-shirts and other items.)

Posted Image

#10 nedstarksbastard

nedstarksbastard

Ms. Leading

• Regulars
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

can someone explain to me where jason went???

#11 mrfunktastick

mrfunktastick

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

best band from alaska that i'm aware of.

just saw them a few hours ago with rx bandits and i went into it fairly blind. they put on a great show and just have a great black keys/mars volta feel to them. gritty.

#12 Snork

Snork

Caught Red Handed

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

Anyone see the artwork yet? I'm really looking forward to viewing it.

#13 Cecilia

Cecilia

An Oracle

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

I had a 20 minute conversation with their bassist last night. He's a cool guy. Great hugs.
And I didn't like RX Bandits so much. The lead singer's super charismatic, but his voice lacks originality.
"I'm not in the message business; I'm in the 'Once upon a time' business."
- Philip Pullman

#14 Snork

Snork

Caught Red Handed

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

I saw the Rx Bandits play once before I really knew anything about them, their show looks pretty cool. From what I've heard from a friend that likes them, their songs are basically 50% boring repetitive ska-ish stuff and 50% really cool experimentation. I keep meaning to look into which album has the higher percentage of the latter half so I can check it out.

#15 Ajax

Ajax

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

Seriously? RX Bandits are amazing. Check out The Resignation and 'And The Battle Begun'. I love me sum Matt Embree.

edit: 'And I' is good stuff. Portugal never lets me down.

#16 mrfunktastick

mrfunktastick

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

View PostSnork, on Jul 31 2008, 12:15 AM, said:

I saw the Rx Bandits play once before I really knew anything about them, their show looks pretty cool. From what I've heard from a friend that likes them, their songs are basically 50% boring repetitive ska-ish stuff and 50% really cool experimentation. I keep meaning to look into which album has the higher percentage of the latter half so I can check it out.

i've skimmed through the other albums, but and the battle begun is amazing. it has a hint of ska elements with a lot of experimentation. i love how the album opens up with an a cappella melody that they sample later in a song. i recommend only for the night, a mouth full of hollow threats, epoxi-lips, apparition, and crushing destroyer.

#17 Keagan

Keagan

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

And I is up on their myspace. shit is good.

Posted Image

#18 old kyle

old kyle

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Getting lost within my own subconscious as well as fapping it to your girlfriends n00dz.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Inb4 "Anatomy Of A Ghost"
Posted Image

#19 Jawsh

Jawsh

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:I appreciate the simpler things in life; meeting new people in malls, chocolate chip cookies, Command and Conquer games, spending ridiculous amounts of time with my friends, Microsoft's Zune, that little noise that my distortion pedal makes when I turn it on, talking loads of smack about my ex-girlfriend even though I don't mean it, drawing up a contract with my best friend regarding the ownership of a duck puppet that will only be won by the participant who sleeps with their girlfriend first (I won, by the way), and of course, The Dear Hunter.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:24 AM

Portugal. The Man are heavenly. Looking forward to the new record. I haven't heard "Devil Say I, I Say Devil" or "The Pines," should I?

#20 lanky5191

lanky5191

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:28 AM

yes
I can't wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users