2978 replies to this topic

#2961 filthsqualor

filthsqualor

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Casey,

I noticed that your live shows basically contain very similar setlists throughout the tour. Is there or has there every been any desire to stray from the single set, same-ish song setlist format to introduce a bit of a surprise element into your live shows? Does improvisation within songs interest you or do you prefer to play them "straightforward" as they were written and intended to be heard? As someone who's spent a considerable amount of time following/listening to bands that inject improv into their setlists, it makes me curious to understand how you approach writing setlists and interpreting that into your live shows.

Thanks and see you in a month in a half!

#2962 casey crescenzo

casey crescenzo

Hunter

• The Dear Hunter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

We usually start out with a pool of songs we want to potentially play - then we rehearse them all. We come up with a few different set lists, and rehearse those - and keep them around to feel it out.

We like to be a well oiled machine. There is still a good deal of improv in what we do, but at the same time, we aren't a jam band.

As for surprise - I think the biggest mistake a fan could make is to check out the setlist of a touring band before you've seen them... thats a bit like reading the script of a film before you've seen it - there won't be any surprises, you know every beat - every breath... what is the point?

#2963 popnfresh

popnfresh

We're Dropping Off Like Guns And Flies

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Interests:Nothing. Stuff.

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

Boxers or briefs?
Pull yourself out of the gutter
Motherfucker
When you're bleeding
And it feels just like your bleeding

#2964 casey crescenzo

casey crescenzo

Hunter

• The Dear Hunter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

POPULAR

View Postpopnfresh, on 12 August 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

Boxers or briefs?

mithril.

#2965 popnfresh

popnfresh

We're Dropping Off Like Guns And Flies

• Regulars
  • 1,401 posts
  • Interests:Nothing. Stuff.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

nice...nice...
Pull yourself out of the gutter
Motherfucker
When you're bleeding
And it feels just like your bleeding

#2966 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Hey Casey, are you excited to do the Q&A sessions on the upcoming tour, or are you going to miss having some of the finer details of the story unknown? I sadly can't make any of the shows this tour, but am definitely excited to hear what revelations are had. Perhaps the Boy is actually a sentient car, and the whole story takes place in the universe of Putt-Putt?
I will not be a parasite.

#2967 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
  • Interests:Getting rid of bombs

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

Would you ever consider recording an album consisting solely of covers of songs by the Jukebox Band from Shining Time Station?
"Hi, I'm a recovering crackhead, and this is my retarded sister I take care of. I'd like some welfare please."

#2968 Antone

Antone

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:TDH and all things related, Wisconsin sports, good drinks, and good people.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

Blanton's or Husdon?
Posted Image

#2969 Grizzly Bear Arcade

Grizzly Bear Arcade

Awoke Alone

• Regulars
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Fuckin' shit and stuff.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hey, Casey. Act V is so freaking amazing. Anyway, just wondering how YOU have been enjoying story time. Are you enjoying seeing people's minds being blown when you reveal a juicy tidbit? Hope the tour goes well for you, buddy.
The night keeps looking our way.

#2970 filthsqualor

filthsqualor

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

Super random question:

What does "...started slicking my hair with the kerosene..." mean in the song Waves?

Listening late night and just wonder what's behind it.

#2971 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
  • Interests:Getting rid of bombs

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

View Postfilthsqualor, on 26 October 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

Super random question:

What does "...started slicking my hair with the kerosene..." mean in the song Waves?

He answered this somewhere, I think in a Facebook livestream. It's basically about vanity (i.e., the ship is sinking and this guy is concerned about how his hair looks)
"Hi, I'm a recovering crackhead, and this is my retarded sister I take care of. I'd like some welfare please."

#2972 filthsqualor

filthsqualor

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:16 AM

View PostZeppelinDT, on 26 October 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

Super random question:

He answered this somewhere, I think in a Facebook livestream. It's basically about vanity (i.e., the ship is sinking and this guy is concerned about how his hair looks)

Interesting, thanks for the input Zeppelin.

I've got a ridiculous amount of questions for you (Casey) that I think about on a daily basis. I feel like most of them are probably redundant to a certain extent, but I genuinely appreciate the fact that you're accessible despite having what I assume is a relatively busy schedule, even when you're not touring. It's rare to be able to "directly" communicate with someone you relate to so closely on such a personal level without actually knowing you personally. Probably sounds weird, but fuck it, it's 345AM, I haven't slept, and inhibitions are out the window at this point.

Anyhow, I guess something I've been thinking about more recently is how you feel about where you're at in terms of exposure after releasing Act V. From a fan standpoint, it's one of those scenarios where (and I'm speaking on behalf of all fans here unjustifiably), we don't want you to see you get any bigger. Don't get me wrong, I gush about you and TDH to all of my friends and family and want nothing but all the success you've earned and deserve, but I can't help but be selfish in wanting you guys to stay relatively under the radar.

So I guess my question(s) is, are you happy where things are at with TDH? Do you desire continual, significant growth and exposure through different outlets (radio etc.)? More importantly, how do you measure "success"? I was reading an article (probably more of a personal memoir from a fan on reddit about how Act V could/should have been a candidate for album of the year) recently which pointed out how you're somehow overlooked from the "indie" community, and also flying under the radar in "mainstream" music and other applicable genres. I would generally assume that bands and artists want their music to reach the masses without sacrificing the integrity of the music, and the people that enjoy it (if that makes any sense). Seems as though there's been a clear direction of where you've wanted things to go and taken The Dear Hunter, and nothing, including popularity, no matter how incremental, has affected that.

I don't know, it's kind hard to believe that TDH hasn't blown up, but I use it as an excuse to hoard your music and appreciate that things are where they are. It's rare that musical integrity is upheld after this many years. I still kick myself in the ass for not knowing about this music sooner.

Just so you know, I genuinely appreciate what you do and how you do it man, I think I speak for many when I say it means a lot. Sorry for the diatribe, I blame vodka and super cold weather.

Best wishes for your holidays.

#2973 casey crescenzo

casey crescenzo

Hunter

• The Dear Hunter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Hey there, and thanks for the question.

I'm having trouble nailing down exactly which angle to approach the question with, because there is a fair amount of suggestion within it, and depending on the day, I could answer this one of 100 ways... but I will give my perspective at the moment- the holiday season of 2016, 10 days from my 33rd birthday after the busiest 2 years of my life.... feels like a decent cross section moment to put my foot in my mouth.

Fundamentally, I don't care about success. I've never cared about it- or at least, I have never really cared about what 99.9% of people would identify as success: transitioning your creativity into a cash cow. The success I have always cared about is the ability to continue growing and creating. I've said this before, and its applicable now - I never had the moment in my youth where I dreamt of playing stadiums... those impactful moments were really internal... they were usually after I had a moment of noticeable improvement, OR, had written a piece of music that really moved me. Its just how I'm wired - and that has stuck with me throughout my life.

On the other hand, I will never understand the concern, in regards to fans of any band, that the band remain small - or really any concern on the audience size of a band in general. Why wouldn't the concern always remain 'I really hope this thing that I like continues to provide me with things I like'?

The fact that success is not my #1 concern, shouldn't cloud the fact that it is what allows us to continue participating in what I would call the 'professional landscape'. Yes, I would be playing the same music regardless - whether I was writing alone and performing for a toaster oven, gathering in a basement with friends after work, or touring the world... but the part of the puzzle that allows me to put out music the way I do, is the success of the band - and not only that... the thing that allows me to continue growing, and pushing my creative boundaries IS the potential growth of the band.

While I would not necessarily reflect with excessive glee upon my time on EVR's roster, the people who paid for Migrant, Act IV and V to be made, did so based on seeing the band during the Color Spectrum era, and recognizing the possibility that the band could continue growing. Had they not believed in the band's potential for growing success, they would have had no interest in paying for records to be made and distributed.

Maybe I am different. I've always yearned for the continued success of the people who bring me joy. Not because I feel they 'deserve' it for technical reasons - but I WANT them to become household names. Let me try and use an analogy... and this can probably be applied to any industry, but for the sake of simplicity, Ill just use food.

Lets say a small town has a McDonalds on every corner. 99% of the population exclusively eats at McDonalds, in this town. There is also a small, relatively unknown bistro in town, run by a local family, who price their meals at fast food prices. They have their own farm where they grow all of their food. They own a woodshop where they make all of their furniture. They weave, sew, and assemble all of their textiles.... design their menus, cook the food... they do it all... and not only that - you've had some of your favorite meals at this bistro. They have a fairly consistent following of regulars, but the restaurant is always 99% empty. Luckily, they keep their costs low as they handle so much the business themselves, but they're slowly running themselves into the ground, and approaching a place where it will be impossible to keep the doors open, and you'll have to go to the farm to get a meal, if they'll have you.

Why wouldn't you want everyone to eat there? Why wouldn't you want to see this restaurant push McDonalds out of town? Why would it taint your enjoyment if other people ate there? In the vacuum of our minds/hearts/souls, the enjoyment of art shouldn't be contingent on its exclusivity.

Now... am I happy with where we are at? Yes. I always have been. I was happy with where we were when we played in front of 10 people, and I am happy playing in front of 1000. Would radio success be cool? Of course, but its not going to happen because I am not changing who I am. In my moments of meandering daydreaming, I want the band to explode... but not for why you would think.

Everyone in this band works their ass off. When they work on records with me- they work their ass off. When they tour - they do the same... and when we aren't touring, they work just as hard. I want to see these guys get what they want, but more importantly, I don't want to see them flustered when we are together, because they don't know whether or not they can pay their phone bill... I want, when they see a creative tool on the road (guitar pedal, synth, etc...) to be able to see them utilize it. I want to see them unanimously, and unquestionably happy and comfortable so that we can continue making this music together.

I'm happy playing with my dogs in the forest.

View Postfilthsqualor, on 09 December 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

View PostZeppelinDT, on 26 October 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

Super random question:

Interesting, thanks for the input Zeppelin.

I've got a ridiculous amount of questions for you (Casey) that I think about on a daily basis. I feel like most of them are probably redundant to a certain extent, but I genuinely appreciate the fact that you're accessible despite having what I assume is a relatively busy schedule, even when you're not touring. It's rare to be able to "directly" communicate with someone you relate to so closely on such a personal level without actually knowing you personally. Probably sounds weird, but fuck it, it's 345AM, I haven't slept, and inhibitions are out the window at this point.

Anyhow, I guess something I've been thinking about more recently is how you feel about where you're at in terms of exposure after releasing Act V. From a fan standpoint, it's one of those scenarios where (and I'm speaking on behalf of all fans here unjustifiably), we don't want you to see you get any bigger. Don't get me wrong, I gush about you and TDH to all of my friends and family and want nothing but all the success you've earned and deserve, but I can't help but be selfish in wanting you guys to stay relatively under the radar.

So I guess my question(s) is, are you happy where things are at with TDH? Do you desire continual, significant growth and exposure through different outlets (radio etc.)? More importantly, how do you measure "success"? I was reading an article (probably more of a personal memoir from a fan on reddit about how Act V could/should have been a candidate for album of the year) recently which pointed out how you're somehow overlooked from the "indie" community, and also flying under the radar in "mainstream" music and other applicable genres. I would generally assume that bands and artists want their music to reach the masses without sacrificing the integrity of the music, and the people that enjoy it (if that makes any sense). Seems as though there's been a clear direction of where you've wanted things to go and taken The Dear Hunter, and nothing, including popularity, no matter how incremental, has affected that.

I don't know, it's kind hard to believe that TDH hasn't blown up, but I use it as an excuse to hoard your music and appreciate that things are where they are. It's rare that musical integrity is upheld after this many years. I still kick myself in the ass for not knowing about this music sooner.

Just so you know, I genuinely appreciate what you do and how you do it man, I think I speak for many when I say it means a lot. Sorry for the diatribe, I blame vodka and super cold weather.

Best wishes for your holidays.

#2974 WeAreDormin777

WeAreDormin777

King of Everything

• Regulars
  • 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Music, Video Games, Reading, Friends, Talking, Etc Etc

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

If only I was a millionaire

. I would just throw money at you, no strings attached just so you can produce the music you want, the way you want it without compromising to anyone or anything.
Sing Softly, Sing me to The Lake...
Sing Softly, Bring me to The Lake...

#2975 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hey Casey, in Cascade, are only half of the people looking at the boy when they breathe on his neck, or are they all cyclopes?
I will not be a parasite.

#2976 alexsohani

alexsohani

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

View PostWeAreDormin777, on 10 December 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

If only I was a millionaire

. I would just throw money at you, no strings attached just so you can produce the music you want, the way you want it without compromising to anyone or anything.

I second this sentiment. Casey, I hope if you ever need financial help for a project that you don't feel shy to ask your fans for help.

#2977 deejbeard

deejbeard

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hey Casey,
Not to put weight of any certain song over another, but what songs or moments in songs gave you that "moved" feeling you once described? Or what part of the writing process has given you validation for a true feeling of improvement/growth?

Thanks for all you do and for putting up with so many requests for 'Red Hands'...haha (love the song but over-requested is probably an understatement I'm betting).

Cheers,
Derek
--If no one hears you, will you still want to sing?--

#2978 Pheaton

Pheaton

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hi there Casey.

First of all, i want to let you know how much Act 1 through 5 continues to move me, keep up the amazing work!
I was wondering, if you by any chance plan to come to Europe at some point? I would love to see you guys live, since you are one of my absolute favorite bands out there.

Another thing i would like to ask is, whether you think the songs from Act 1 to 5 is meant to be interpreted the way i interpret them when i listen to them, or if i should seek out the meaning you put into the songs?
A good friend of mine read quite abit about what the songs mean ( i don't know if it is actually what you mean by them, or if some random dude out there just guessed ), but i am not sure whether i want to read into it or not. Any thoughts?

Tons of love,
Jonas from Denmark :P

#2979 Grizzly Bear Arcade

Grizzly Bear Arcade

Awoke Alone

• Regulars
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Fuckin' shit and stuff.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostPheaton, on 09 June 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Hi there Casey.

First of all, i want to let you know how much Act 1 through 5 continues to move me, keep up the amazing work!
I was wondering, if you by any chance plan to come to Europe at some point? I would love to see you guys live, since you are one of my absolute favorite bands out there.

Another thing i would like to ask is, whether you think the songs from Act 1 to 5 is meant to be interpreted the way i interpret them when i listen to them, or if i should seek out the meaning you put into the songs?
A good friend of mine read quite abit about what the songs mean ( i don't know if it is actually what you mean by them, or if some random dude out there just guessed ), but i am not sure whether i want to read into it or not. Any thoughts?

Tons of love,
Jonas from Denmark :P

Hey, bud! The Act albums tell a very specific story, but as with most music, it is up to you to interpret it in any way that has meaning to you. Sorry to answer for Casey, and I hope I understood your question. Welcome to the forums!
The night keeps looking our way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users