#1 danofthedime

danofthedime

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Music is my life.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

Hey guys,
only actually got into TDH about two months ago, after a band I know called Haken told me about them and said I needed to check them out, they weren't wrong. I am now hooked, and am currently in the honeymoon phase with all the records; listening on repeat constantly.
So I was wondering, how did you guys get into TDH?
Posted Image

#2 TeleuteDPu

TeleuteDPu

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Welcome! I went to see Lydia live & they happened to be the headliners. I nearly left the show but stuck around because they were the headliners & had to be somewhat good. One of my favorite memories!

How did you find the board?

#3 Kari

Kari

Tough Lover

• Artistic Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, painting, children, animals, nature, cartoons, gardening, and BEER

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Welcome!

I got into TDH because a friend was super into them and NEEDED to play their music for me and talk about the story.
When you get the love for TDH anyone who will listen gets bombarded with impassioned information as you desperately hope they will love it too.
(I'm currently trying to recruit two friends to our herd)
Posted Image
Never climb the ladder. EVER.

#4 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • 3,068 posts
  • Interests:Getting rid of bombs

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:33 PM

Good question. Before TDH my favorite band was Dream Theater, and I was a regular on their forums, and when Act II was released Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater's drummer) posted about it and said it was one of his favorite albums of the year, and then a bunch of other people on the forum started being like "OMG this band is great" so I was like "Hmm, I guess i should give 'em a listen then", so I drove myself down the Best Buy, picked up copies of Acts I and II, put them in my car's CD player, and when "The Pimp and the Priest" came on I was like "Whoah, this band is pretty great", then when "Red Hands" came on I was like "OMG they're my new most favoritests".
"Hi, I'm a recovering crackhead, and this is my retarded sister I take care of. I'd like some welfare please."

#5 Kari

Kari

Tough Lover

• Artistic Directors
  • 3,255 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, painting, children, animals, nature, cartoons, gardening, and BEER

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostZeppelinDT, on 16 September 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

Good question. Before TDH my favorite band was Dream Theater, and I was a regular on their forums, and when Act II was released Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater's drummer) posted about it and said it was one of his favorite albums of the year, and then a bunch of other people on the forum started being like "OMG this band is great" so I was like "Hmm, I guess i should give 'em a listen then", so I drove myself down the Best Buy, picked up copies of Acts I and II, put them in my car's CD player, and when "The Pimp and the Priest" came on I was like "Whoah, this band is pretty great", then when "Red Hands" came on I was like "OMG they're my new most favoritests".

Thus the "DT" in your name.
Posted Image
Never climb the ladder. EVER.

#6 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:50 PM

Yup. Who knew when we were creating silly AOL screennames when we were 17, they'd stick with us for so long...
"Hi, I'm a recovering crackhead, and this is my retarded sister I take care of. I'd like some welfare please."

#7 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

I was lsitening to a receiving end of sirens song way back, then like 5 months later Act II was on cd in my local store and i picked it up randomly. Played it, realised it was Casey form TREOS and from then my life changed forever

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#8 danofthedime

danofthedime

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostTeleuteDPu, on 16 September 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

Welcome! I went to see Lydia live & they happened to be the headliners. I nearly left the show but stuck around because they were the headliners & had to be somewhat good. One of my favorite memories!

How did you find the board?

That's sick, I am yet to see them live, and I live in the UK so I could be waiting a while. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.
I'd used the site a couple of times for the guitar tabs and chords part and I was curious about peoples interpretations of the story. Found the song by song thing, then was like: "WAIT, THERE'S A COMMUNITY?"
Posted Image

#9 danofthedime

danofthedime

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

View Poststretts, on 16 September 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

I was lsitening to a receiving end of sirens song way back, then like 5 months latr Act II was on cd in my local store and i picked it up randomly. Played it, realised it was Casey form TREOS and from then my life changed forever
See i'm so sad to be so late to the party because especially in the UK, it's almost impossible to pick up physical copies of TDH albums :( went literally all over Leeds yesterday trying to get a copy of Act V and no one had even heard of the band or they pointed me to "Deerhunter" and I was too awkward to say "no it's spelt differently" so was just like "thanks" then walked away awkwardly.
Posted Image

#10 danofthedime

danofthedime

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

View PostZeppelinDT, on 16 September 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

That's awesome dude, i'm also a huge Dream Theater fan. if you've not heard them, I suggest you check out Haken, they're awesome guys, amazing music, really happy to know them. They're friends of Portnoys too.
Posted Image

#11 danofthedime

danofthedime

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

View PostZeppelinDT, on 16 September 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

Yup. Who knew when we were creating silly AOL screennames when we were 17, they'd stick with us for so long...

I refused to let "danosaurrawr96" stick around for too long... I went through some awkward phases.
Posted Image

#12 danofthedime

danofthedime

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostKari, on 16 September 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

Welcome!

I got into TDH because a friend was super into them and NEEDED to play their music for me and talk about the story.
When you get the love for TDH anyone who will listen gets bombarded with impassioned information as you desperately hope they will love it too.
I was like that with my friends and Steven Wilson, when you hear something amazing, you just need to share it with someone. I have already got a couple of mates into TDH already haha. My girlfriend is as obsessed with them as I am now.
Posted Image

#13 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

View Postdanofthedime, on 17 September 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

View PostKari, on 16 September 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

Welcome!

I was like that with my friends and Steven Wilson, when you hear something amazing, you just need to share it with someone. I have already got a couple of mates into TDH already haha. My girlfriend is as obsessed with them as I am now.

Fun fact: A few years ago The Dear Hunter and Porcupine Tree toured together... with Coheed too. It wasn't in my part of the country though so I missed out on it (would have loved to have gone though... I'm a huge Porcupine Tree fan).

#14 Tara Lynn

Tara Lynn

Illuminate and I Will Follow You

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

Zeppelin! That that was my first TDH show! August 2010 PT and Coheed in Cleveland. I was walking away leaving the venue after TDH played because my friend was being very mean and I wanted to leave... the walkway to leave intersected with the pathway by the vans and buses... and I very nearly almost walked right into Casey. Even better... the very next night was Columbus with CIRCA Survive, also attended that.

As far as first hearing The Dear Hunter, I was listening to The Receiving End of Sirens in 2005 when Between the Heart and the Synapse was released. I didn't follow the band after that at all. In 2008 I was suggested to listen to Act II by a longtime friend. I heart Delphi Express and I remember thinking how intriguing... Listened to Act II and Act I swiftly after.

Fun fact: I didn't know Casey was in TREOS until he told me himself in 2010. He mentioned getting kicked out of his old band. I said 'Oh what band?'....

#15 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostTara Lynn, on 18 September 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

Zeppelin! That that was my first TDH show! August 2010 PT and Coheed in Cleveland. I was walking away leaving the venue after TDH played because my friend was being very mean and I wanted to leave... the walkway to leave intersected with the pathway by the vans and buses... and I very nearly almost walked right into Casey. Even better... the very next night was Columbus with CIRCA Survive, also attended that.

I seriously considered going to that show, because I love all three of those bands. But then I was like "Nah, I'd have to be crazy to go all the way to Cleveland just for a concert...."

#16 whatwasyourname

whatwasyourname

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:meteorology, YuGiOh, drumming, forgetfulness

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

View Postdanofthedime, on 16 September 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Hey guys,
only actually got into TDH about two months ago, after a band I know called Haken told me about them and said I needed to check them out, they weren't wrong. I am now hooked, and am currently in the honeymoon phase with all the records; listening on repeat constantly.
So I was wondering, how did you guys get into TDH?
A friend sent me He Said He Had a Story and that rewrote a history or something...

I was hooked right there, basically. I actually didn't dig into the acts until about a year latr when I was a junior in high school. I think I was, anyway?

Dream Theater, sadly, got replaced as "best band NA," but that also has to do with that band, not just TDH blowing everything else outta the water.

#17 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

I got into TDH after listening to Forgive Durden's musical, Razia's Shadow. A couple of my hall mates in college had come running down the hall singing songs off the album at the top of their lungs, paused, looked at me and said, "YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS." The second I heard Casey's voice, I had to find more. I've been listening to them for three years now, give or take, and I'm still in that honeymoon phase. Pretty sure I won't grow out of it any time soon haha. Welcome to the forums!!

Edited by twotimesthedime, 22 September 2016 - 12:04 PM.

Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

#18 TeleuteDPu

TeleuteDPu

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 22 September 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

I got into TDH after listening to Forgive Durden's musical, Razia's Shadow. A couple of my hall mates in college had come running down the hall singing songs off the album at the top of their lungs, paused, looked at me and said, "YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS." The second I heard Casey's voice, I had to find more. I've been listening to them for three years now, give or take, and I'm still in that honeymoon phase. Pretty sure I won't grow out of it any time soon haha. Welcome to the forums!!

I'm still in that phase...

#19 ggl3dde

ggl3dde

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

I wish Forgive Durden was still around. Thomas has done a few interesting projects, but I still miss the band.

#20 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

View Postggl3dde, on 03 October 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

I wish Forgive Durden was still around. Thomas has done a few interesting projects, but I still miss the band.

Oh same. I'm a sucker for concept albums, and Razia's Shadow is way up there. Would have been cool to have another album in that same kind of spectrum.
Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users