• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

So back in Act I, I mentioned being in the process of writing a screenplay adapted from the TDH Acts albums. So, since it is my twentieth year of birth today, I've decided to share the first twenty pages of my script (ha). Anyway, after several grueling minutes of transferring the text from Celtx to the awfulness that is google docs, it's now ready to be read! Please please please feel free to add comments or helpful critique in the margins, and do keep in mind that because this has been adapted to a cinematic format, some events have been altered slightly. I have about 90 pages written right now, so I'll definitely be uploading more of it soon!

EDIT as of 3 April:

The link is down for the moment. I'm currently cutting the script in half and doing a major rewrite, but expect something fresh and new over the summer!

Edited by twotimesthedime, 03 April 2016 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

#2 spartian995

spartian995

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

I have to say, this is extremely extremely exciting to read. I've gotten so hooked into the story for so long and understand it so well, but only through music (mostly). So it's just so great to read it in another way from different angles. I can try to go through again latr and give some actual critiques, but just for now wow that was fun to read. Good job! I hope Casey comes across it and says what he thinks because it is his actual story ha. Interesting no matter what though!

#3 ProgressiveTherma

ProgressiveTherma

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:boolin' and coolin'

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:19 PM

Just finished reading it. Amazing job! That really was an exciting read and I have no criticisms. Bravo!

#4 WeAreDormin777

WeAreDormin777

King of Everything

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Music, Video Games, Reading, Friends, Talking, Etc Etc

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

Nice interpretation of the story. I like the dialogue between the boy and Ms. Terri.
Sing Softly, Sing me to The Lake...
Sing Softly, Bring me to The Lake...

#5 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Thank you guys for all of the positive feedback! I've just added some more pages, so get ready to meet The Oracles and Ms. Leading. As always, feedback, no matter how nit-picky, is always appreciated!
Posted Image

#6 killerkeys86

killerkeys86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Film, working in film production, playing music (Piano specifically), listening to music, The Dear Hunter, The Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy, Muse, Antemasque, At The Drive-In, Thrice, Opus Dai, Oedipus, JJXO, among many other bands. LOVE playing videogames, PS4 owner, watching movies and collecting blu-ray's, eating good food, hanging out with friends.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

What a great idea! I hope this happens, and if it does, Casey should score it. I always thought since Act 1 he would be a great film composer, and especially after hearing his symphony as well. Sure enough, while recording with him in February I mentioned that and he said he would love to get into film scoring, so this could be the perfect opportunity for him to start, because seriously who better to compose the score for this film then him!?!? I also work in film production in Los Angeles, and would love to help out in any way I can. Let me know, and looking forward to reading this when I get a chance!

#7 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

View Postkillerkeys86, on 13 April 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

What a great idea! I hope this happens, and if it does, Casey should score it. I always thought since Act 1 he would be a great film composer, and especially after hearing his symphony as well. Sure enough, while recording with him in February I mentioned that and he said he would love to get into film scoring, so this could be the perfect opportunity for him to start, because seriously who better to compose the score for this film then him!?!? I also work in film production in Los Angeles, and would love to help out in any way I can. Let me know, and looking forward to reading this when I get a chance!

Yesss that would be so awesome, Casey would definitely make an epic score for a Dear Hunter movie; I can see him composing masterpieces laced with all of his songs' themes. And that's cool that you're in the film production business, I'll be looking forward to what you think of the script so far!
Posted Image

#8 dbr

dbr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

I'm a little late, but this is really awesome! I'm still reading it, but I'm enjoying it so far. Nice work!

#9 FlameandFire

FlameandFire

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Music, Art, Acting, Love

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Excited to read this. I'm actually working on a stage adaptation. I'm retooling some of Act III in preperation for Act IV's release.
"Friends in the gutter, enjoy one another."

#10 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostFlameandFire, on 15 June 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

Excited to read this. I'm actually working on a stage adaptation. I'm retooling some of Act III in preperation for Act IV's release.

Awesome! A stage adaptation would be really cool. Straight show or musical?
Posted Image

#11 FlameandFire

FlameandFire

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Music, Art, Acting, Love

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 15 June 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

A stage adaptation would be really cool. Straight show or musical?

I'd really love for it to be a musical but securing the rights to Casey's score proves difficult and there's the need for talented musicians to play said music....so for now just a straight play but lyrical in the sense of a Shakespearean drama.
"Friends in the gutter, enjoy one another."

#12 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostFlameandFire, on 15 June 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 15 June 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

A stage adaptation would be really cool. Straight show or musical?

I'd really love for it to be a musical but securing the rights to Casey's score proves difficult and there's the need for talented musicians to play said music....so for now just a straight play but lyrical in the sense of a Shakespearean drama.

Ooh yeah, that's true. Mine's a cinematic version, but I still had to insert the music into different parts. Regardless, I CAN'T WAIT for Act IV. It'll definitely influence my ending for sure.
Posted Image

#13 KingofRain86

KingofRain86

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Music, Netflix, Videogames

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

This is incredible and I honestly can't wait for you to add more to it. Is there any way you could keep me updated when you do?
Posted Image

#14 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostKingofRain86, on 21 June 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

This is incredible and I honestly can't wait for you to add more to it. Is there any way you could keep me updated when you do?

Thanks, man! I usually post here when I update, but sometimes I'll just add a few small pages and not bother with announcing it, so it really just depends. The script is already finished, but I'll be releasing more and more of it as Rebirth in Reprise nears its release date.
Posted Image

#15 KingofRain86

KingofRain86

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Music, Netflix, Videogames

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:36 AM

So you're teasing us...

Nice.
Posted Image

#16 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostKingofRain86, on 24 June 2015 - 04:36 AM, said:

So you're teasing us...

Nice.

Hm. Perhaps.

In reality though, it just gives me more time to edit my way through the Act III part of the script (it's a little rough, not gonna lie). But, since you are feeling anxious to read more, I added some more, right up to the "Red Hands" section of it. Hopefully that'll hold you over some, unless you don't like cliffhangers...ha. Anyway, I think I'm going to upload a few scenes a week from now through September's release date. That way, it'll be on a more regular basis! Glad you like it!
Posted Image

#17 Dave.

Dave.

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Finally got around to reading this and just finished it. Wow! I absolutely loved that. You have completely captured everything about this story and brought the world of The Dear Hunter to life through your words. Awesome work on this. I can't wait to read more! I can only imagine Casey grinning with delight when he reads this :)
You can't be caught red handed if you're not red handed

#18 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

View PostDave., on 26 June 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

Finally got around to reading this and just finished it. Wow! I absolutely loved that. You have completely captured everything about this story and brought the world of The Dear Hunter to life through your words. Awesome work on this. I can't wait to read more! I can only imagine Casey grinning with delight when he reads this :)

Thanks! No idea if he's read any of it yet, but I'm glad you like it. It's been my goal to bring this story from the music to the "big screen," per se, so I'm glad that I've seemed to accomplish this among the fans!

[Also. Ill be posting more info on the script soon, so you guys can get a good picture of what will be posted next, and when]
Posted Image

#19 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

I actually read everything you had so far a few days ago, and was so into it that I didn't believe it was actually over 60 pages already. Great work, truly. You started this project some time ago, yes? Are you going to try to interpret and convert Act IV to the script when it releases, or have you already decided on an end to this particular story?
I will not be a parasite.

#20 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostSky, on 27 June 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

I actually read everything you had so far a few days ago, and was so into it that I didn't believe it was actually over 60 pages already. Great work, truly. You started this project some time ago, yes? Are you going to try to interpret and convert Act IV to the script when it releases, or have you already decided on an end to this particular story?

Thanks! Yeah, I started this as a project in my screenwriting class this past semester, and it ended up being a full-fledged, 121 page script! (about a two hour run time) This one covers Acts I-III, but maybe when Act IV comes out, I'll probably wait for V and VI and make one out of those three! Or perhaps a trilogy, two acts for each, but that's a long way off. I ended this one with The Boy coming home from the war to The Son's mother, but that may change if Act IV starts differently. Glad you like it so far!
Posted Image

Also tagged with act i, act ii, act iii, movie, dear hunter, adaptation, script

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users