OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

View PostDollaBills, on Dec 27 2008, 01:31 AM, said:

View Postcasey crescenzo, on Dec 26 2008, 11:05 PM, said:

View PostDollaBills, on Dec 26 2008, 09:02 PM, said:

Why do you waste your money on digital synths?

What is your argument in favor of analog?

Ugh, I would think a professional musician would know better. The idiosyncrasies of the analog circuitry that give analog synthesizers like the ARP2600 (a favorite of mine and Brian Eno's) a distinctive sound that digital emulation can only reproduce to a certain, but still not completely accurate, extent.

Duh!

trolling
Posted Image

thepersonandthepeople.bandcamp.com

#42 casey crescenzo

casey crescenzo

Hunter

• The Dear Hunter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

View PostDollaBills, on Dec 27 2008, 02:31 AM, said:

Ugh, I would think a professional musician would know better. The idiosyncrasies of the analog circuitry that give analog synthesizers like the ARP2600 (a favorite of mine and Brian Eno's) a distinctive sound that digital emulation can only reproduce to a certain, but still not completely accurate, extent.

Duh!

Yes if you would like to drop the 5k it costs to get your hands on an original ARP 2600 then it would be great. Although it is a monophonic synth, so the probability of emulating anything close to strings/piano/choir with it (which are really what we use our keys for) is inexistent. An analog synth is always a fun thing to have but you will never find an analog synth that does more than what its built to do- which is usually leads and pads- unless you have it hooked through pedals, or you are using some fun patching- in which case it is great for effects- but the fact that most older synths are monophonic is a large setback when you know how to play with both hands.

#43 iwannatipcows

iwannatipcows

Adam Emond

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

crescenzowned

View Postwax wings, on Jan 2 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

now, we all know that if it's not metal, it's not music.

It's now 2015 and I have no idea where that quote came from, but I think I'll keep it.

#44 Andy Wild Rick

Andy Wild Rick

WILD RICK

• The Dear Hunter
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

Well i havent posted in a few days. It really makes me feel like a part of the forum when arguments start in my section. haha. Thats what forums are all about!

Last May, casey and me made the decision to get a couple new keyboards. He got the nord so he can play organ and rhodes out of his amp and have it sound awesome. But I went with the fairly new KORG M3. I think its an incredible piece of equipment. Each song gets its own 8 channel setting. So on each song I can have strings, bells, piano ready to be turned on and off with the click of a button. Some songs have programmed parts with motion that is synced to the tempo.

So the classic analog/digital argument--For TDH, i don't think we're a band that uses synthy lead tones that moogs and korg ms2000s will give you. We like organic sounds....and to me this means sounds that can be played with an instrument by a human. The digital keyboard I use is a very reliable way to make this happen.

I'm sure some of you remember when I used a midi controller, and had my computer on stage. I was running Logic Mainstage. It was pretty awesome when there were no hiccups. But when you rely on computers, technical difficulties can easily come up. I'm much much happier with a digital workstation than a midi setup.

Oh and to answer someones question, I was classically trained for about 4 years. But probably not on the instrument you'd expect. I was a classical guitar performance major when I went to college for a couple years. I prepared with a professor before I got to college for a couple years as well. I don't think anything beats the sound of a classical guitar being played well. Its like a mixture of a harp and a piano to me.

By the way, I love giving lessons....for classical....or for any style. If you want to learn to read music and play some baroque style guitar, shoot me a line and ill try to help you out!

#45 iwannatipcows

iwannatipcows

Adam Emond

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

also.
and rips the shit out of classical guitar, if you've had the pleasure of seeing it.

"rips teh shit out of" in a good way of course. haha.

It's now 2015 and I have no idea where that quote came from, but I think I'll keep it.

#46 Bohan

Bohan

A Modern and Cultural Anthropology major at NYU in New York City

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

View Postcasey crescenzo, on Dec 27 2008, 12:06 PM, said:

Duh!

Yes if you would like to drop the 5k it costs to get your hands on an original ARP 2600 then it would be great. Although it is a monophonic synth, so the probability of emulating anything close to strings/piano/choir with it (which are really what we use our keys for) is inexistent. An analog synth is always a fun thing to have but you will never find an analog synth that does more than what its built to do- which is usually leads and pads- unless you have it hooked through pedals, or you are using some fun patching- in which case it is great for effects- but the fact that most older synths are monophonic is a large setback when you know how to play with both hands.

Fair enough. I would probably use a digital workstation in that case too. I was under the impression that you were using it to emulate classic synth tones.

#47 wax wings

wax wings

The Swine Who Smiles

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

so, you've never really listened to the music, have you.

and andy, that's awesome. i love classical guitar, just wish i could afford one

#48 Cecilia

Cecilia

An Oracle

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

View PostAndy Wild Rick, on Dec 27 2008, 04:19 PM, said:

If you want to learn to read music and play some baroque style guitar, shoot me a line and ill try to help you out!
If you lived anywhere near Washington DC, I'd be there in a second.
"I'm not in the message business; I'm in the 'Once upon a time' business."
- Philip Pullman

#49 iwannatipcows

iwannatipcows

Adam Emond

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

View PostDollaBills, on Dec 27 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

Duh!

Fair enough. I would probably use a digital workstation in that case too. I was under the impression that you were using it to emulate classic synth tones.

have you listened to The Dear Hunter?

#50 kyla

kyla

This rant brought to you by the good folks at BRAWNDO

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:Well, the game is pretty straightforward. You can choose to spin or you can choose to choose. If you choose to spin, you can land on spin, or choice, or lose a spin, or lose a choice, or free spin, or free choice, or spin again.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

andy, you're a regular esteban then?

Posted Image

#51 Bohan

Bohan

A Modern and Cultural Anthropology major at NYU in New York City

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

View Postiwannatipcows, on Dec 27 2008, 06:05 PM, said:

View PostDollaBills, on Dec 27 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

Duh!

have you listened to The Dear Hunter?

The two or so songs I heard didn't have much in the way of any electronics. They also both reminded me of things I probably would have been into when I was around the age of 12.

#52 OurSerratedDust

OurSerratedDust

is lusting for the lives of infantry.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Mechanical Engineering, writing music, Magic the Gathering, getting crunk

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

Well, if you're going to jump in our forum, call our music 'trite and uninspired,' and lie to us, the least you could do is listen to an entire Dear Hunter Album.

I think you should, its not as "uninspired" as you think.

#53 iwannatipcows

iwannatipcows

Adam Emond

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

which "two songs or so" where they?

#54 Andy Wild Rick

Andy Wild Rick

WILD RICK

• The Dear Hunter
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

wow so that dollabills guy isnt too friendly is he? I wish he'd quit hanging out in my section of the forum.

#55 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

View PostAndy Wild Rick, on Dec 28 2008, 03:53 PM, said:

wow so that dollabills guy isnt too friendly is he? I wish he'd quit hanging out in the forum.
fixed

#56 SpaceYeti

SpaceYeti

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hobos

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

View PostAndy Wild Rick, on Dec 27 2008, 03:19 PM, said:

Well i havent posted in a few days. It really makes me feel like a part of the forum when arguments start in my section. haha. Thats what forums are all about!

Last May, casey and me made the decision to get a couple new keyboards. He got the nord so he can play organ and rhodes out of his amp and have it sound awesome. But I went with the fairly new KORG M3. I think its an incredible piece of equipment. Each song gets its own 8 channel setting. So on each song I can have strings, bells, piano ready to be turned on and off with the click of a button. Some songs have programmed parts with motion that is synced to the tempo.

So the classic analog/digital argument--For TDH, i don't think we're a band that uses synthy lead tones that moogs and korg ms2000s will give you. We like organic sounds....and to me this means sounds that can be played with an instrument by a human. The digital keyboard I use is a very reliable way to make this happen.

I'm sure some of you remember when I used a midi controller, and had my computer on stage. I was running Logic Mainstage. It was pretty awesome when there were no hiccups. But when you rely on computers, technical difficulties can easily come up. I'm much much happier with a digital workstation than a midi setup.

Oh and to answer someones question, I was classically trained for about 4 years. But probably not on the instrument you'd expect. I was a classical guitar performance major when I went to college for a couple years. I prepared with a professor before I got to college for a couple years as well. I don't think anything beats the sound of a classical guitar being played well. Its like a mixture of a harp and a piano to me.

By the way, I love giving lessons....for classical....or for any style. If you want to learn to read music and play some baroque style guitar, shoot me a line and ill try to help you out!

I'm just starting to get into piano (well instruments with keys at least), and I'm considering purchasing a Korg, since I've liked a lot of the onboard effects that they come equipped with. Sadly I'm next to broke and don't have a job, so it looks like I'll be getting a used one off of Ebay =/

Also, I'm planning on being a classical guitar performance major in college, so could you give me an example of a piece that you'd likely play in college? I've got a guitar class in my high school, and theres me and two other kids who just breeze through everything we have to play, while everone else seems to struggle with it. I don't think I've really played any music that's that challenging, and I just want to know if I'll be well prepared for college.

View Postwax wings, on Dec 27 2008, 04:36 PM, said:

so, you've never really listened to the music, have you.

and andy, that's awesome. i love classical guitar, just wish i could afford one

http://www.guitarcen...185-i1171410.gc
?

I mean obviously that's not a good one, but you could get a pretty good one for about $300-$400
For cereal.

#57 wax wings

wax wings

The Swine Who Smiles

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

right, but even $3-400 isn't readily available in my bank account... especially not considering the new guitar i just bought, and all my books and supplies for next semester hahaha
as for classical guitar pieces, look into Heitor Villa-Lobos' stuff.

#58 Keagan

Keagan

BREATHE IN! BREATHE OUT!!!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:Music and Women. Lots of women.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

wow so that dollabills guy isnt too friendly is he? I wish he'd quit hanging out in my section of the forum.

But Andy he NEEDS this for his project.

Posted Image

#59 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

View PostKeagan, on Dec 31 2008, 08:42 AM, said:

But Andy he NEEDS this for his project.

i lold hard

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#60 iwannatipcows

iwannatipcows

Adam Emond

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

what is yuor favorite song ot play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users