- - - - -

ACT II Recording Techniques/QuestionsHow did they do it???

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Casey, this is great.
I almost have our first recording done, i'll post a link here to what i was able to accomplish with just my digi002 and a rode nt1-a. Unfortuntely, I ABUSE samples, lol.... The stuff you do is inspiring though, i am going to start looking for friends who play strings, etc...and actually try to record my drumset! (just need to get a few more inputs first)

If i could get just a little more detail on your vocal compression method, just a starting point on what you are listening for when you are tweaking both the first compressor and then the expander, and what you are tweaking on those, which order you go in, which plugs you are using, etc....

I know a little about compression and i will try not to ask noob questions (i can find stuff online) but at the show you explained the technique in some depth and i wish i had a pen with me!!

#22 Obvious

Obvious

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

this thread just keeps getting better.

cheers for being so obliging casey.
Posted Image

#23 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:49 AM

yh mad props to casey and thread starter for this very entertaining and engaging thread

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#24 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

Ok, the song is up
It is called Tempest Ablaze, recorded entirely in my basement, started in March, finished TODAY!!! LOL, don't ask...it wasn't at the top of our priorities, though. The other song, Arrythmia, was recorded at a professional studio (a prize we won at battle of the bands).
Any sort of critiques, questions, comments, etc... are welcome

my band's myspace

#25 sam sanford

sam sanford

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

my crazy great aunt lives in wausau.
Posted Image

thepersonandthepeople.bandcamp.com

#26 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:03 AM

haha, maybe i know her
mr. sanford, you seem to have a lot to say about recording. Care to comment??

#27 sam sanford

sam sanford

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

you have a very nu metal sounding guitar.
Posted Image

#28 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

ahhh, lovely. I know this is nothing like what people browsing this forum would probably listen to. or should I say I nu. HA! Well, if this was my own band, things would be slightly different, however there are lots of compromise involved when you have 5 different, very opinionated leaders instead of one leader and four players. I am not sure if that is something that you have ever had to deal with. It can be a beautiful thing. Guitar tone wise, we are still experimenting with different sounds but the guitarist happens to like this sound we got and i would be lying to say i don't think it sounds half bad. I don't want to say what i used yet because i want to get some honest reactions.
in the words of william hung, "i have had no professional training"
Sam, you say you will soon be a certified operator. What does that mean? Do you have anything cool to show me? A song maybe?

#29 Obvious

Obvious

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:47 AM

if you get shit half price buy me a 003 and send it to me.
Posted Image

#30 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

sam's got his shit straight son

#31 sam sanford

sam sanford

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:16 AM

View Postjabadeer, on Oct 21 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

Sam, you say you will soon be a certified operator. What does that mean? Do you have anything cool to show me? A song maybe?

lol you need any recordings to become operator certified. it comes with some perks but other than that its just silly IMO. but i did recently track some weird 40 year old dude that sounds super cliche country but i think it sounds really good. i will upload whenever i get the tracks.
Posted Image

#32 theeuphonyofsilence

theeuphonyofsilence

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Peace, Music, Love, and Laughter

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:38 AM

lol you're from the MP forum too? That's 3 counting me so far. And I'm probably one of the only ones around here that appreciates this kind of shit so I'll try to give all the compliments I can muster.

Well I can't really comment on the production cuz I'm listening through laptop speakers right now, but I think the song itself is really good. I particularly iked the vocal harmony part at the end. (Dear Hunter inspiration?)

But which one are you? Drums?

#33 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

View Postsam sanford, on Oct 22 2008, 01:16 AM, said:

View Postjabadeer, on Oct 21 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

lol you need any recordings to become operator certified. it comes with some perks but other than that its just silly IMO. but i did recently track some weird 40 year old dude that sounds super cliche country but i think it sounds really good. i will upload whenever i get the tracks.

haha, whatever works, can't wait to hear it. did you go to school anywhere for this stuff??

and euphony, haha, yep, i come from the MP forum, i don't post much but lurk almost daily. believe or not though, angra1 or chroma or whoever didn't turn me on to the dear hunter, a friend from california showed me some stuff and the rest is history.

the way the dear hunter uses vocals is pretty inspriring to me, although some of this stuff was written before i even got into them. 4/5 of us sing, so we have always tried to use that to our advantage, and unlike the dear hunter (or at least up to this point) we all sing our seperate parts on the recording. (I believe Casey multitracked almost every harmony that you hear on the albums thus far). Actually this brings me to a question, on 1878, who sings Hands extending, waiting for this, etc... before on of the choruses. It sounds like Casey's dad maybe??? I heard act 1 was mainly family members, I was always wondering who contributed vocals on that. Pulling all that stuff off live is tough for us though! I play drums in the band, btw.

#34 PerfectModel

PerfectModel

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

On 1878 it is Dan Nigro from As Tall As Lions they are great check them out when you have a chance.

www.myspace.com/astallaslions

#35 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

thats amazing!!!! I love ATAL. In fact I was reading an interview with i think the dear hunter and they asked what band everyone needs to know about and most of the members replied as tall as lions. SO i checked them out on a whim, great stuff... I can hear it now that you mention it but the voice sounded so...crazy. Cool.

#36 KIMTR@N

KIMTR@N

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

lol how do you know what Casey's dad sounds like???

#37 jabadeer

jabadeer

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

doesnt everybody know what his dad's voice sounds like?

in all honesty, the guy who showed me the dear hunter for the first time used the fact that he recorded act I with only himself and family members as a "selling point" on the band. so, i figured nick played drums, casey did everything else, and i believe this guy told me that his mom/dad helped with some singing parts. this was like spring 2007, foggy memory there.

Maybe we will find out what casey's dad sounds like on act 4:meet the parents

#38 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

maybe im wrong. but casey's mom provided her voice, and casey's dad provided his horn playing abilities

#39 Obvious

Obvious

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

horns are so spensive
Posted Image

#40 zucker

zucker

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

View PostCrystalMeff, on Oct 27 2008, 02:26 PM, said:

maybe im wrong. but casey's mom provided her voice, and casey's dad provided his horn playing abilities

I think Casey did the horns himself and his father did the organs on 1878.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users