#1 kelso

kelso

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Kicking ass and hanging out

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

I've got some general questions about the way you guys make money - I'm part owner of a small business and we are always having to find ways of squeezing things to widen the profit margin in order to make it, especially in these times with the recession and all. Ergo, I'm curious about how we as fans can benefit the bands we love the most so they can keep giving us the music we love.

I have always assumed that if you wait to buy the album on tour that more of the money goes to the artist - is that true? Does it account for the total number of albums sold so the record label can see that albums are still moving, making them happy? OR, Is it more important to buy an album in the first few days in order to give it a good debut?

What about merch? I always buy at the shows but does internet distribution eat of a lot of the profit? Am I better off just buying stuff online if a band doesn't come to my home town all that often?

Any input would be very interesting to hear. Thanks for reading!
Deep beneath the black dawn, leagues from lightning's flash...Ribs will raise cathedrals for the morning mass. Steel yourself in sackcloth, roll your heart in ash. Scrape your skin with steel wool and hold fast hope. Cross your heart and hold fast hope.

#2 bunny face

bunny face

NeverReno99

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

I've always wondered about this sort of thing. Good questions.

#3 casey crescenzo

casey crescenzo

Hunter

• The Dear Hunter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hey there,

I think it is quite awesome of you to ask these questions, however, I do think that by answering them I may appear ungrateful for my position... Just know that I am very happy and thankful to be where I am... BUT- this is a basic financial breakdown.

Everything you can buy from the band, the band has to pay for. Whether it's cds, merch, stickers, anything. The only way a band can MAKE money, is like any other business- a profit margin. We end up acting as the middle man between the fans and our label, which is ironic, because the label is really the middle man between our music and our fans.

So, when you take a cd release for example... if a record cost say 10k to record, and 10k to duplicate copies, there is 20k to be recouped by our label before our band will see any money from store sales.

A cd on tour is a different story- basically half of what we sell our cds for on tour is paid back to our label for the "cost" of the cd. The "profit" we gain goes back into paying for gas/food/crew pay.

Merch works the same as a cd. So you see a shirt and you buy it for 12 bucks. if the venue takes a cut, its usually 15%, so 1.80 is taken off of your 12. If we are selling our shirts for 12 its because they are good quality, with more than 1 color. So you can assume this shirt cost at least 5 dollars to make, not including the cost of shipping it to the band. So all things considered, we make $5 off of a shirt sale.

Record sales do help quite a bit though. While we wont see much money from the sale of a record, it moves us up in the world. Labels, booking agents, managers all look at your statistics, and record sales count. The more we have sold, the better chance of being offered a bigger tour we have. As tours get bigger, so does the amount of money we are offered.

We arent looking to live in mansions, but we are looking to make this a career. Anything you can do, whether its telling a friend, showing your parents, talking about us in a forum, or randomly handing out millions of burnt cds at your local mall... anything helps us, even if it isnt money.

#4 CrystalMeff

CrystalMeff

The Son

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

nice casey.

#5 Dave.

Dave.

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

Casey you are the most humble person I've ever met.
You can't be caught red handed if you're not red handed

#6 doobeedobedoo

doobeedobedoo

The bAdmin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  • Interests:Bangin' broads

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:10 AM

i play Act III over the speakers at the Borders Books and Music I work at. I've already gotten several coworkers/customers into Dear Hunter. the little things that count.

casey, we <3 you on long island

Posted Image

#7 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:38 AM

great answer

i swear when i get a job at big star records this summer ill be blasting you guys non stop

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#8 YeOldeLuketh

YeOldeLuketh

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Awesomeness!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

Permission to burn and distibute tdh cd copies?

When im a billionaire im paying for an australian tour, and a 7th act that will only be given to me!
YeOldeLuketh.
For Pony!!!

#9 kelso

kelso

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hey thanks for the reply Casey! Its too bad you have to put a disclaimer in front of telling people that you need to make money. People need to realize that being in a band isn't really a wing and a prayer living on inspiration for the pure love of music type thing, its a career. Sure, writing music you love is an important part of it but you still need to have food to eat and a place to live. At any rate your humility is refreshing.

Anyway, I love introducing people to TDH. I don't know a lot of people that listen to anything close to whatever genre you might consider your music so its great to watch them experience something more and share the depth of the art with them for the first time.

Also I hope that the deluxe editions really pay off for you guys in some way because I know as a consumer I really dig 'em and they are totally worth the extra cost for the effort.
Deep beneath the black dawn, leagues from lightning's flash...Ribs will raise cathedrals for the morning mass. Steel yourself in sackcloth, roll your heart in ash. Scrape your skin with steel wool and hold fast hope. Cross your heart and hold fast hope.

#10 Otter

Otter

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Otters

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

How much would it cost to do an comic style piece like Act 2 had but for the whole thing? Cause I'll buy a copy maybe even two. Just dont stop doing what you guys do best
Posted Image

#11 kbi the crowing

kbi the crowing

I party with Gina.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Music & Friendship.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Did you guys make a decent profit off the lifetime membership packages?

#12 OurSerratedDust

OurSerratedDust

is lusting for the lives of infantry.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Mechanical Engineering, writing music, Magic the Gathering, getting crunk

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

View Postkbi the crowing, on 09 July 2010 - 06:43 PM, said:

I'd imagine so, considering there was no label present in the whole deal.

#13 kbi the crowing

kbi the crowing

I party with Gina.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Music & Friendship.

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

View PostOurSerratedDust, on 11 July 2010 - 02:43 PM, said:

I'd imagine so, considering there was no label present in the whole deal.

Yeah I would think so, too, but you never know how much buying all the stuff for the packages could be.

#14 DerekAdams32

DerekAdams32

Oh, What A Terrible, Terrible Game He Plays!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Scary Movies, Strategy Games

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Talking about introducing people to TDH...

I posted an ad on craigslist to sell a vizio flat screen of mine a couple weeks ago. 3 college guys (roommates) responded and came over to pay for and pick up the TV that night. I'd never met any of them before. After a couple minutes of small chat and talking about the tv, they mentioned they were music majors. So of course I asked them what bands they liked. By the end of the conversation I had burnt them a "Best of The Dear Hunter" cd. I'll most likely never talk to or see those guys again, but I hope The Dear Hunter changes their lives forever :]
Posted Image

#15 Ben Here

Ben Here

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Music, teaching, cooking, travel

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postderekadams32, on 12 July 2010 - 10:26 AM, said:

Talking about introducing people to TDH...

I posted an ad on craigslist to sell a vizio flat screen of mine a couple weeks ago. 3 college guys (roommates) responded and came over to pay for and pick up the TV that night. I'd never met any of them before. After a couple minutes of small chat and talking about the tv, they mentioned they were music majors. So of course I asked them what bands they liked. By the end of the conversation I had burnt them a "Best of The Dear Hunter" cd. I'll most likely never talk to or see those guys again, but I hope The Dear Hunter changes their lives forever :]
We music majors/nerds love TDH. ;)

#16 kelso

kelso

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

Woah, back from the dead

At any rate I wouldn't imagine the dollar per hour investment panned out to be very lucrative, at least initially. Even when you add up the entire sum of money without counting cost of goods it really isn't much to live off of at all. Thankfully its much more affordable to record an album these days.

To me it was more of an investment in us rather than the other way around. The only way it will pay off for Casey is if over time we can recruit more fans, buy more merch, etc etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users