• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyNaylor

JohnnyNaylor

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

So before I start let me just say that I thought the color spectrum was really good, although not quite on par with the acts. The one thing that I haven't seen anyone talk about though is the production value of the color spectrum. Is it just me or does it seem like the production value is quite a bit worse on the color spectrum than the acts? I admittedly don't know much about production and mixing and all that, but I can definitely tell on quite a few of the eps that it just doesn't sound that great production wise. I don't know if maybe I just have a bad quality download??? Or maybe it's just the fact that there were sooooo many songs to record that pizza didn't have enough time to produce them as well as the acts? But ya has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

#2 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostJohnnyNaylor, on 16 March 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

So before I start let me just say that I thought the color spectrum was really good, although not quite on par with the acts. The one thing that I haven't seen anyone talk about though is the production value of the color spectrum. Is it just me or does it seem like the production value is quite a bit worse on the color spectrum than the acts? I admittedly don't know much about production and mixing and all that, but I can definitely tell on quite a few of the eps that it just doesn't sound that great production wise. I don't know if maybe I just have a bad quality download??? Or maybe it's just the fact that there were sooooo many songs to record that pizza didn't have enough time to produce them as well as the acts? But ya has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

It has not occurred to me at all :mannerism:

Sounds great to me :munch:

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#3 Mickey

Mickey

Son, Don't Be Afraid To Call On Those Who Love You Most.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter, video games and vinyl.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I'm not an expert but I think that you shouldn't compare production quality between TCS and the Acts. I am sure he wanted them to sound that way. Pizza doesn't seem like the guy to just have something sound "good enough." Like I said I am not an expert.
You should convert your files to FLAC or Apple lossless. Then play them through a good system. I think the best way to listen to anything of The Dear Hunter's is on vinyl with a good record player and an awesome system. It will give you eargasms, trust me.

#4 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostMickeyNeedsGuns, on 16 March 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'm not an expert but I think that you shouldn't compare production quality between TCS and the Acts. I am sure he wanted them to sound that way. Pizza doesn't seem like the guy to just have something sound "good enough." Like I said I am not an expert.
You should convert your files to FLAC or Apple lossless. Then play them through a good system. I think the best way to listen to anything of The Dear Hunter's is on vinyl with a good record player and an awesome system. It will give you eargasms, trust me.

Yip, ah the chills I get listening to the green ep - the production is soooo good

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#5 JohnnyNaylor

JohnnyNaylor

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

View Poststretts, on 16 March 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

View PostMickeyNeedsGuns, on 16 March 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Yip, ah the chills I get listening to the green ep - the production is soooo good
Okay ya maybe its the quality of the download I have then? See I'm completely lost when people talk about files and stuff. Not really sure what FLAC is? Also I don't have a record player :/ Maybe the quality would be better on the CD box set? Then again I don't really have the money right now to get that

#6 Mickey

Mickey

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

FLAC is similar to Apple Lossless. Look it up on wikipedia, it gives a pretty good explanation. If you jump on the FLAC train you will probably want an external hard drive since the file size becomes huge.

I would suggest getting CD box set because it is just awesome. The DVD is excellent and you will be supporting the greatness that is The Dear Hunter.

#7 Oracle

Oracle

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter...

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostJohnnyNaylor, on 16 March 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Okay ya maybe its the quality of the download I have then? See I'm completely lost when people talk about files and stuff. Not really sure what FLAC is? Also I don't have a record player :/ Maybe the quality would be better on the CD box set? Then again I don't really have the money right now to get that

If you're considering the CD box set, I consider the FULL ON wooden box set, if there are still any left. Well worth the time it takes to save up the money
Slow down, take time to see the forest for the leaves.

#8 JohnnyNaylor

JohnnyNaylor

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ya I think Ima try to get the cd box set then! If I rip the cds to my computer tho, will it still be cd quality or will it lose quality? Is there a way to transfer the cds to my ipod or iphone while maintaining cd quality?

#9 Mickey

Mickey

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostJohnnyNaylor, on 17 March 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Ya I think Ima try to get the cd box set then! If I rip the cds to my computer tho, will it still be cd quality or will it lose quality? Is there a way to transfer the cds to my ipod or iphone while maintaining cd quality?

If you use iTunes you can change the settings to import as Apple Lossless which will provide the best quality.

#10 TeleuteDPu

TeleuteDPu

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

In order to have it at cd quality, it needs to be a WAV file. But Apple Lossless is pretty snazzy on its own! In regards to production value, listen to the difference from Act 3 to the others. They have a more full sound. But that's what I hear from listening to the cds and not vinyl.

#11 Oracle

Oracle

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter...

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I bought an iPod player for my car, but i still choose to listen to TCS on CDs in my car. Its just way better
Slow down, take time to see the forest for the leaves.

#12 Tara Lynn

Tara Lynn

Illuminate and I Will Follow You

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostOracle, on 22 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I bought an iPod player for my car, but i still choose to listen to TCS on CDs in my car. Its just way better

No. Listen on vinyl in car = best

#13 theyordman

theyordman

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostTara Lynn, on 18 April 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostOracle, on 22 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

No. Listen on vinyl in car = best
I just have them perform live in the back of my car whenever i go anywhere...

#14 silentman1994

silentman1994

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Is it just me or does Orange sound a little flat on vinyl? The is another one that sounds a little off too. One of the few reasons I like it as a digital release better. I don't think it was mixed well for vinyl. In those regards still pumped they are out there on vinyl.

As far as the production value as a whole: Could be the outside help/studios where tracks were recorded. IMO I think its just that the ACTs had so much going on that it seems really different. These sound great to my ears.

#15 Mickey

Mickey

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

How good is the needle on your record player?

#16 silentman1994

silentman1994

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

My record player is bad and has a horrible set up, but does the job. My friends set up is top of the line and that is what we listened to them on. We messed with the EQ a bit too trying to get it perfect but no luck.

#17 Gazebo Steve

Gazebo Steve

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

The production value of this album is extremely good. Everything sounds incredible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users