• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 remainder

remainder

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

I didn't see anyone else make a thread so far, so figured I'd start one.

Listened through 5 times now, and I'm completely blown away. Musically, this is somehow even more of an evolution from Act IV, and the reuse of motifs from other acts fit in so well with the new songs. I got goosebumps during "The Old Haunt" reprise in "The March"; it was such a turnabout in the context of these 2 songs.

I have some theories on the story, but I would rather hear other opinions while I clarify in my own head what is happening. I think we can all agree, though, that the last 5 songs are pretty unambiguous in their broader strokes.

#2 spartian995

spartian995

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

To me this is the best act BY and far... An absolute amazing way to end the series musically. Wow... I can't even remotely begin to think of the words which would describe how beautiful this collection of music is...

#3 syntaxic

syntaxic

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

The last half of the album is just amazing, especially "The Flame" through the end. I've just been sitting listening to that chunk over and over. Doesn't hurt that those are the songs where the action really ramps up.

But holy hell, what an amazing album. The call-backs and reprises have been absolutely amazing - the reprises "The March" and "Mr. Usher" are just brilliant and probably my favorite part of the album.

#4 theryan

theryan

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:music, space, rocks, space-rocks, old wooden ships.

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

View Postsyntaxic, on 09 September 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

The last half of the album is just amazing, especially "The Flame" through the end. I've just been sitting listening to that chunk over and over. Doesn't hurt that those are the songs where the action really ramps up.

Dude absolutely. I just finished listening for the first time and those last five songs killed me.

#5 Ricky Denim

Ricky Denim

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

Act V has definitely exceeded my expectations...just wow! It has all the elements that I love about TDH and definitely feels full circle for me. Instrumentation is next level on this, can't wait to get the headphones in!
Honestly the whole thing is brilliant but early fav's would be - The Moon, The Most Cursed of Hands, Mr Usher (wow!), The Haves Have Naught, The Flame, The March and A Beginning.

This album is such an accomplishment, seriously. Can't wait to read the graphic novel!

#6 jon

jon

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

Epic . . . just wonderful songwriting and performances. I've listened through 6 times already. And this album deserves to be listened to as a whole.

I really love the solo guitar work in The Flame. The fire songs might be my favorite one-two punch since the Bitter Suites.

#7 seekaseeka

seekaseeka

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

it's by far my favorite act i believe, i love everything about it

Maybe this is just me, but I find that this album feels like it should be listened to in it's entirety, as has been said, but the other acts didnt have that feeling so strongly.
Obviously i think they should all be listened to in their entirety, but i find it easier to pick out and listen to songs individually in the previous acts, whereas this one just needs to be listened to as a whole.

Maybe it's just because it's new, I dont know haha, but I get that impression and feeling from this Act and I dont remember having it as much with the others

#8 Holyhunter

Holyhunter

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, finding ways to make things awkward

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:56 PM

View Postseekaseeka, on 09 September 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

it's by far my favorite act i believe, i love everything about it

Maybe this is just me, but I find that this album feels like it should be listened to in it's entirety, as has been said, but the other acts didnt have that feeling so strongly.
Obviously i think they should all be listened to in their entirety, but i find it easier to pick out and listen to songs individually in the previous acts, whereas this one just needs to be listened to as a whole.

Maybe it's just because it's new, I dont know haha, but I get that impression and feeling from this Act and I dont remember having it as much with the others
I agree with this, especially for the second half of the album

#9 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

I've only listened to it once so far, and you can bet I'll be listening again when I wake up tomorrow. But I absolutely agree about the back half of the record! I'll admit that on the first couple of songs I was a little bit 'eh' - not because they were bad but probably actually because I was just super tired. But as I progressed I got more and more into it, and by the time I hit The Flame I was more into it than I've been in a sound in a long while. Possibly ever, and I can't wait to burn this thing into my brain.
I will not be a parasite.

#10 CruelAndBitterHeart

CruelAndBitterHeart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:53 AM

I just finished my first listen of the album and I feel the same way about this one as I did Act II after the first time I listened to it. They're both very dense records and I feel that Act V will take many listens to wrap my ahead around, the same way Act II did. The good news is that Act II is my favorite Dear Hunter album which means there is a new contender with Act V. I loved all of the call backs that I picked up on the first time and I'm sure there will be more the more I listen to it. A huge smile spread across my face at the end of "A Beginning" and hearing that familiar tune.

(Way too early) Favorite Tracks So Far:

Cascade
Gloria
The Fire (Remains)
The March

Can't wait to see these tracks played live and to dig into the story!

#11 lolokaust

lolokaust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

How does he knock this stuff out? Is it like "I'll just make another epic project before tea?
Propagandafuhrer!

#12 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

Dont have time to post in depth reaction at moment, but yeah, its fuckin awesome

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#13 Jorss

Jorss

Hurr Durr

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:58 AM

It's truly amazing.

Posted Image

#14 syntaxic

syntaxic

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostHolyhunter, on 09 September 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

I agree with this, especially for the second half of the album

God, the second half of the album is absolutely amazing. Basically "Gloria" onward has pretty much taken the top spots on my favorite songs lists. That chunk is just so good.

#15 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

The Most Cursed of Hands is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's such a cool story, and I love the way it builds up.
I will not be a parasite.

#16 FrankTheHermit

FrankTheHermit

Lost in my head, hand to my heart

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

I'm definitely really impressed with this Act, and I'm glad it sounds different than Act IV given that they were recorded around the same time (if I'm not mistaken).

I think Cascade and The Flame are my favorite songs right now, but I seriously think this is going to become my favorite Act after a couple of more listens.

#17 Steve

Steve

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

This is definitely an amazing album. The story itself is probably my favorite out of all the acts. I think I still would say Act 2 is my favorite TDH album as a whole but everything about this blows me away.

I think the most moving part is that I've been into TDH since Casey was still in TREOS and told us after a show that he was starting a side project about what a whore his ex-girlfriend was. And here we are, after 10 years, with in my opinion the greatest story ever told in the history of man. Seeing it progress of the past 10 years, from me being 20 to me being 30, just seeing all of this happen and finally coming to the end...

I cried when then the piano dropped at the end of A Beginning.

#18 jon

jon

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

I can't stress enough how well these tracks play as a whole.

I love the fire set the best but, right now, I am so in love with the Regress and The Moon/Awake combo. An unreal pair of songs . . . but really the whole thing is awesome.

#19 OliJ

OliJ

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:24 PM

I know it is early but I'm confident that Act IV will remain my favorite album despite how much I enjoy this. I think it is hard to follow up Act IV so quickly, not only because Act IV is a masterpiece but the fact that it was a return to a sound we hadn't heard in 6 years while now it just feels like more, even if what we're getting more of is fantastic. A positive to being written so close to Act IV is the King Of Swords ending being a set up for The Most Cursed Of Hands which I'm thinking that's where the metaphor of the Devil and the Gambler first began to apply to The Dear Hunter. Also speaking of callbacks there's a great He Said He Had A Story musical call back in Cursed Hands. It was really awesome hearing a back and forth between Mr. Usher and TDH on The Haves Have Naught. The overlapping vocals was a highlight on the album.

To be critical, it's a little unfortunate that there isn't a song with a big crescendo like all my favorite songs off previous albums (His Hands Matched His Tongue, Red Hands, He Said He Had A Story, Home, Whisper, If All Goes Well). Maybe I just didn't pick up on it but it felt like there wasn't any resolution with Mr. Usher after TDH handed over the City to him. He has such a big introduction but it seems like we don't get to hear any of the actual influence he has. Also is Light about TDH having a son? Is that set up in any other song? It seemed to come out of nowhere for me. I may just have to wait for the book for clarification. I love that these are the type of criticisms I can have of a rock album, I think that says a lot to the depth of the story these albums have.

#20 Snakenole

Snakenole

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

I was wondering the same thing about Light. That's how I hear the lyrics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users