#44 Ben Here

Ben Here

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Music, teaching, cooking, travel

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I have a food problem and a showoff problem. Happy to share any recipes, just ask.

Posted Image
Slow-cooked corned beef reuben with homemade slaw and oven fries.

Posted Image
Shrimp/andouille gumbo.

Posted Image
Butter garlic pasta with zucchini/roasted peppers, and rolled chicken mozzarella.

Posted Image
Stewed Mexican steak.

Posted Image
Red Thai Curry.

#45 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

SIGGITYFIGGITYFIGGITYFOOS

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Interests:fnord

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'm legally obligated to ask you what the beer is.

I hope to set an example. You know, for children and stuff.

#46 Ben Here

Ben Here

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yuengling Lager.

#47 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

• Admin
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

You could do better, but I'll allow it.

#48 Ben Here

Ben Here

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Teacher salary, my friend. :mannerism:

#49 Bohan

Bohan

A Modern and Cultural Anthropology major at NYU in New York City

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

i've been making this stuff for the past two weeks now for dinner almost every night. it's that good. i'm cooking some up right now and i'll see if i can get a decent pic when it's finished.

Peanut Butter and Chile Thai Stir Fry

ingredients:
  • 1-3 bundles of udon noodles
  • 4 tbs sesame oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 bag of frozen stir fry veggies (or fresh, i just get the bagged frozen stuff and its fine)
  • 3 tbs minced garlic
  • 1/2 tbs ground ginger OR 1 tbs fresh minced ginger
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (i always use tamari because i like it more, but it doesn't matter)
  • 3 tbs rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tbs chili garlic sauce (i always use more than this because I love spicy. you can use as much or none of this as you wish to taste)
Directions:
  • boil water, put Udon noodles in, reduce heat to low and let them chill in there for 12-13 minutes simmering, then drain them. make sure you rinse them too because Udon have this weird gummy crap on them after cooking that makes them all sticky.
  • toss 2 tbs of the sesame oil over the noodles
  • get a wok or other similar type pan and heat the other 2 TBS of sesame oil on medium/high heat. don't get crazy and make it pop all over you.
  • add onions, carrots, stir fry veggies, garlic and ginger. mix em all up and cook for about 4-5 minutes
  • when the stir fry veggies are mostly thawed and softened, add the honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, and chili sauce. mix that shit up good and nice.
  • let that whole mess simmer for about 2 minutes
  • put your noodles from before in a bowl and pour your peanut butter veggie extravaganza on top.
  • eat.
Posted Image

#50 terroristgoboom

terroristgoboom

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

i'm fasting right now because of ramadan (i'm muslim)

this thread is fucking with my brain

#51 wax wings

wax wings

The Swine Who Smiles

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

"pour your peanut butter veggie extravaganza on top."

sold. I wish all cookbooks were written like this.

#52 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

• Admin
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

See Ben, Bohan knows how to put a good beer in a picture.

Seriously though, that sounds awesome.

#53 Ben Here

Ben Here

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

What the. I'm going to buy a six-pack and take a picture just to give you the finger.

#54 Kari

Kari

Tough Lover

• Artistic Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, painting, children, animals, nature, cartoons, gardening, and BEER

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Better make sure it's a really good six-pack!
Posted Image
Never climb the ladder. EVER.

#55 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

• Admin
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

You know I loves ya, Ben.

#56 Kari

Kari

Tough Lover

• Artistic Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, painting, children, animals, nature, cartoons, gardening, and BEER

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

Last night I tried for the first time to make a peach cobbler. It was a total failure, and I don't know how I'll ever clean out that dish.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Never climb the ladder. EVER.

#57 Roger

Roger

Bieber Believer

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Made this with my girlfriend today, turned out well so I thought I'd share (no picture, sorry :/ )

Pineapple Chicken Sandwich/burger/whatever

You need:

pineapple rings
chicken
chipotle salsa
sweet chili sauce
coconut milk
kaiser rolls
mayo
sriracha sauce
sesame oil
cheddar and jack cheese, grated
cilantro
onions

no exact measurements, I eyeball everything I make

1. Stick the chicken in a plastic baggie, pour some coconut milk in it, and put the pineapple rings in there as well. let it sit for a few hours or so.

2. Make your saauwwces.
- Sesame Mayo:
mix mayo, sriracha, and a LITTLE of the sesame oil (it's strong)

- Sweet Chili Salsa:
mix your chipotle salsa with sweet chili sauce

3. Cook the chicken, and grill the pineapple rings.

4. Cut the chicken.

5. Put it on the roll, cover with salsa, chopped cilantro and onions, sriracha, cheese, pineapple, and douse that shit with the sesame mayo.

that's it. it's yummy.

#58 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

• Admin
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

I've made some awesome cobbler recipes. However, I didn't bookmark them (use Pinboard, kids) and now the ones I try are too cakelike and not shortcakelike enough. Then again, I've also been using Bisquik.

#59 kyla

kyla

This rant brought to you by the good folks at BRAWNDO

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:Well, the game is pretty straightforward. You can choose to spin or you can choose to choose. If you choose to spin, you can land on spin, or choice, or lose a spin, or lose a choice, or free spin, or free choice, or spin again.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

5 year anniversary

Zucchachini Stix

Okay, friends. Today we will be crafting some fine ass, health-ish snackums that will keep your fried cravings down and your happy feelings up. They are vegan enough (if you use vegan greek yogurt) for you to make them to woo that special indie someone, healthy enough to make for yo momma and deliciously snacky enough to make for yo bros. Impress your friends or stuff your face.

Yes, that's right. Zuccachini sticks. This healthier alternative to the freedom fry is slightly time consuming to make but ultimately delectable to consume.

Let's start by selecting our zucchini. I show four here, but two will make a full pan.

Chop off the ends. I save all of my vegetable scraps and freeze them in a jar to be latr used as vegetable stock.

Now, in these photos, I have made smaller sized sticks. You can actually make a stick the length of the zucchini. It's excellent. It doesn't matter, but here I have cut the zucchini in half, then in quarters, then in twelfths.

Experience has shown that a thicker cut yields a better, jucier stick. The super skinny ones tend to become just breading when baked.

You are going to want that green outer layer on each an every stick. It adds the necessary backbone to each stick that allows the right form.

Make sure your knife is sharpened. A dull knife is a bitch to use with zucchini.

If you don't know how to sharpen a knife, there is an excellent tutorial by a fat and bald Jamie Oliver here:

Now that we have our basic zucchini sticks cut, we are going to bread them using greek yogurt and bread crumbs. Yes, that's right. Greek yogurt. I use it as a substitute for basically anything fatty - butter, milk, eggs, whatever. You can jazz it up with salt, lemon, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever, but I haven't been to the store in awhile so I just used plain old greek yogurt. It starts to thin as it sits out of the fridge so don't take it out until you're ready to coat the zuccachini.

I also make my own breadcrumbs with cheap, stale ass bread. You don't have to - store bought classic crumbs or panko will work just fine. If you've got some stale ass bread, toast it and food process/blender it. I also toss it with almond pieces, oats, and some spices depending on my mood (here it was thyme, cumin, salt, pepper, and onion and garlic powders).

Now we are ready to construct the zuccachini sticks. The process is simple on the surface. Zuccachini + yogurt + crumb = stick. Yes, it seems like a breeze. But it is messy. I usually coat my hands in olive oil like I would if I was making bread. It helps keep everything from sticking to you, and it is also good for the skin. Really, though, nothing can save you. You will get messy. Embrace it.

I have found that the most efficient process is to coat as many zuccachinis in the yogurt as you have space to accommodate. I usually stand them up around the bowl. You kind of paint the yogurt on to the zuccachini and then let it stand around the ring of the bowl awaiting its fate.

I usually transfer them to the breading bowl one by one. You might find a method that better suits you. For me, I throw one in the breading, then bury it. I call this the archeology method. You bury it, then find it. This part is hard to describe and is going to sound weird no matter how I type it. Basically, you gotta "fist" ( :mannerism: ) the zuccachini stick. I've found that this makes for the best breading, otherwise you disrupt the yogurt layer. You grab a bunch of the breading around the zuccachini and compress it. It sounds dirty, but it works.

Keep on keepin' on until you've filled the tray or give up. Sometimes I make an extra tray and freeze it.

This next part is why I don't have a cooking show. I usually pre heat the oven to 375 F and bake the stix until they are dark brown. I have no idea how long it takes. Usually I keep the oven on for about 20 minutes, turn it off, and then just let them sit in there until I am hungry or dinner is served or whatever.

Serve with your favorite dip. I like marinara or my homemade 1,000 Island (ketchup, greek yogurt, chopped pickle). Ranch is probably pretty good, too.

But I would use greek yogurt to make it.

/end scene

Edited by kyla, 06 September 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#60 popnfresh

popnfresh

We're Dropping Off Like Guns And Flies

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Interests:Nothing. Stuff.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

This is a fantastic marinade.
I usually put it on boneless skinless chicken breasts, reserve about a 1/2 cup of marinade, marinade overnight, grill the chicken and baste with the reserved marinade (makes it hotter)

http://abc.go.com/sh....chrissy-teigen
Pull yourself out of the gutter
Motherfucker
When you're bleeding
And it feels just like your bleeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users