- - - - -

Who else to go see at Riot Fest Chicago?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thejman

thejman

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:music, art, politics, movies

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

I'm definitely going to see The Dear Hunter, Faith No More, Tenacious D, Coheed, but there are a ton of bands I don't know. So help me out if you know of any good bands to check out. Here's the list:

#2 thejman

thejman

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:music, art, politics, movies

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

pre apology about that list. I just copied it from the riot fest site

#3 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Manchester Orchestra is awesome, and from what I've seen CHON is pretty neat. I saw Northern Faces when they opened for TDH on the Acts tour, and it was incredible. So much energy, so much catchyness.
I will not be a parasite.

#4 Jericho

Jericho

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Radio, Sports, Piano, Saxophone, Concerts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

Yeah Northern Faces for sure. Their live performances are so much better than the recordings, not to say their recorded stuff is bad. Definitely check them out

#5 George Costanza

George Costanza

future NBA #1 overall draft pick

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

Well I don't know what kind of music you like but out of that list I personally enjoy and would recommend:

Modest Mouse: No need for a comment. Just go see them. ;-)
Alexisonfire: A band I used to love and introduced me to the heavier side of music. Post hardcore, two guitars, screams and beautiful melodic vocals together. They broke up in 2011/2012 and this is their reunion tour.
Millencolin: My first favorite band from when I was 10 or even earlier. Influential swedish pop punk band from the early 90's that never stopped putting out quality music for skaters everywhere in the world.
Joyce Manor: Very fun band to listen to, pop punk with hardcore riffs and drums but the catchiest choruses and verses ever.
Into It. Over It. : In my opinion one of the bands with the most beautiful and emotional songwriting around. Musically and lyrically near perfection. It's difficult to describe them with one genre but I'd say emo/math rock because of the internet.
Alvvays: mostly happy pop with beautiful vocals and guitars.
Speedy Ortiz: Another band that I consider one of the most interesting around. Inspired by the 90's alternative and grunge, they use intricate dissonant melodies and tempo to create memorable catchy songs.
Foxing: Currently one of my favorites. post-rock/emo. I can feel my heart swell every time I listen to them.
Signals Midwest: Very good post-hardcore/punk/whatever band. I don't know how to describe them without using the same terms I've used for every single band in this list because I'm ignorant and lazy. I'll just link a track I enjoy a lot from my favorite album of theirs : https://signalsmidwe...rack/i-was-lost

Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the following bands but I'd go see these anyways for various reasons:

Drive Like Jehu: Very important band in recent history of music. Like the beatles of hardcore but not overrated.
Desaparecidos: I haven't listened to them yet but my best friend Dan says the new album is nice
Kevin Devine: I could never get into his music but a lot of people around here likes him.
Knuckle Puck: They have some fun stuff but it's generic pop punk.
Have Mercy: Ditto.
Superheaven: Their first two eps are just incredible. In my favorites ever. Then they changed name and genre and the new album sounds like Puddle of Mudd.
Beach Slang: I listened to them only once but they're on Big Scary Monsters, a label I like to support.
Fidlar: Never listened to them but they had a music video with Nick Offerman. Good enough for me.

Hope I was helpful and you have a great time regardless. Let me know what you think if you go listen to any of this ;-)

Edited by George Costanza, 27 August 2015 - 12:46 PM.

please be nice

#6 Mickey

Mickey

Son, Don't Be Afraid To Call On Those Who Love You Most.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter, video games and vinyl.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostGeorge Costanza, on 27 August 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Well I don't know what kind of music you like but out of that list I personally enjoy and would recommend:

Modest Mouse: No need for a comment. Just go see them. ;-)
Alexisonfire: A band I used to love and introduced me to the heavier side of music. Post hardcore, two guitars, screams and beautiful melodic vocals together. They broke up in 2011/2012 and this is their reunion tour.
Millencolin: My first favorite band from when I was 10 or even earlier. Influential swedish pop punk band from the early 90's that never stopped putting out quality music for skaters everywhere in the world.
Joyce Manor: Very fun band to listen to, pop punk with hardcore riffs and drums but the catchiest choruses and verses ever.
Into It. Over It. : In my opinion one of the bands with the most beautiful and emotional songwriting around. Musically and lyrically near perfection. It's difficult to describe them with one genre but I'd say emo/math rock because of the internet.
Alvvays: mostly happy pop with beautiful vocals and guitars.
Speedy Ortiz: Another band that I consider one of the most interesting around. Inspired by the 90's alternative and grunge, they use intricate dissonant melodies and tempo to create memorable catchy songs.
Foxing: Currently one of my favorites. post-rock/emo. I can feel my heart swell every time I listen to them.
Signals Midwest: Very good post-hardcore/punk/whatever band. I don't know how to describe them without using the same terms I've used for every single band in this list because I'm ignorant and lazy. I'll just link a track I enjoy a lot from my favorite album of theirs : https://signalsmidwe...rack/i-was-lost

Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the following bands but I'd go see these anyways for various reasons:

Drive Like Jehu: Very important band in recent history of music. Like the beatles of hardcore but not overrated.
Desaparecidos: I haven't listened to them yet but my best friend Dan says the new album is nice
Kevin Devine: I could never get into his music but a lot of people around here likes him.
Knuckle Puck: They have some fun stuff but it's generic pop punk.
Have Mercy: Ditto.
Superheaven: Their first two eps are just incredible. In my favorites ever. Then they changed name and genre and the new album sounds like Puddle of Mudd.
Beach Slang: I listened to them only once but they're on Big Scary Monsters, a label I like to support.
Fidlar: Never listened to them but they had a music video with Nick Offerman. Good enough for me.

Hope I was helpful and you have a great time regardless. Let me know what you think if you go listen to any of this ;-)

I would suggest almost all of these, there are a couple I need to check out.
Taking Back Sunday and Thrice. Taking Back Sunday still plays quite a few tracks from Tell All Your Friends. It is pretty great.

I went to Riot Fest last year and it was a blast.

#7 KingofRain86

KingofRain86

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Music, Netflix, Videogames

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

Alkaline Trio, Against Me!, Bayside and Manchester are my other favorites. Kevin Devine has been pretty hit or miss for me over the years.

EDIT: After a second look at the list there are ALOT of other bands that you shouldn't miss. Just replicate yourself and see them all.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users