120 replies to this topic

#1 Bohan

Bohan

A Modern and Cultural Anthropology major at NYU in New York City

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

this is a thread where we can talk about the scientific questions that define our world. here is one to get everyone started. what do you think?

Posted Image

#2 Buster

Buster

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

get off of that treadmill airplane wat are you doing you dont even have legs

#3 Jay

Jay

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

ha no the plane wont take off the treadmill, but how will a slinky fare down an escalator?

#4 KIMTR@N

KIMTR@N

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Not enough trajectory

#5 nedstarksbastard

nedstarksbastard

Ms. Leading

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

which came first, the chicken or the egg??

#6 Buster

Buster

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

T-rex.

#7 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

what defines reality, is there a social construction of reality? or do we construct our reality ourselves?

i cbf answering these right now, maybe later

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#8 Buster

Buster

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

That's more philosophical than scientific. But a damn good question to ponder.

#9 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

point well made *makes philosophical thread*

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#10 Buster

Buster

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

lol

#11 johnnybee4e

johnnybee4e

Evil Shenanigans!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

View PostDollaBills, on Oct 5 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

this is a thread where we can talk about the scientific questions that define our world. here is one to get everyone started. what do you think?

Posted Image

if i remember correctly the mythbusters tested something along these lines and actually had a plane take off from a moving "platform" underneath the plane. Said platform was essentially a very long strip of some sort of fabric or thick paper that they dragged underneath the plane, and the plane managed to take off (i think).

#12 Jay

Jay

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

unless the 'said platform' was pulling the entire air column above it along with it, it wouldn't work. you need to create a pressure difference between the top and the bottom of the wings.

Does anybody know anything about REM cycles? i always thought that if you could build a machine to speed up or simulate REM cycles, you could become a billionaire. Imagine a world that only needs 4 hours of sleep a day.

#13 johnnybee4e

johnnybee4e

Evil Shenanigans!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

View PostJay, on Oct 5 2009, 11:39 PM, said:

Imagine a world that only needs 4 hours of sleep a day.

i feel like that would be a nightmare situation in the worst. our world is so fast paced already. imagine a world where you hook yourself up to a machine to get the minimum amount of sleep needed most efficiently. that would just allow ourselves to abuse our bodies and our time even more than we already do. if anything, this world needs to slow down some for our own good, rather than stepping down even more on the accelerator before our society hits that brick wall and then we are scraping ourselves up off the pavement.

#14 johnnybee4e

johnnybee4e

Evil Shenanigans!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

unless the 'said platform' was pulling the entire air column above it along with it, it wouldn't work. you need to create a pressure difference between the top and the bottom of the wings.

"An airplane cannot take off from a runway which is moving backwards (like a treadmill) at a speed equal to its normal ground speed during takeoff.

busted

First some small-scale tests were performed with a model airplane on a treadmill and the plane was able to take off. For the large-scale test, the MythBusters used a 400 pound ultralight aircraft with a 2000 foot tarp under it. The tarp was pulled backwards to simulate a moving runway. The ultralight pilot had no trouble taking off. This is because the thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground.

thank you google.

#15 Buster

Buster

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

The Uberman sleep schedule is kind of like that. You take 30 minute naps every 4 hours, so you get 3 total hours of sleep every day. It's a bitch to get used to, but after about a week or two, your body is forced to get used to it, and to make up for lost sleep, you enter REM sleep almost immediately upon going to sleep. It's kind of impractical if you want to keep a job though (although I guess if you're a kindergarten teacher you could always take naps with the kids).

#16 Jay

Jay

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

let me preface this by saying i probably agree with you. but for the sake of discussion and to play devil's advocate:

idk, man. provided the same 9-5 work schedule. thats more leisure and family time. more time for hobbies. If you could use the 6 hours a day (almost two full days a week, about 90 extra days a year) and work towards anything you want, learning a new instrument, language, cooking technique, your life could have that much more depth to it.

^^thats the billion dollar pitch.

also, an addendum, if you could purchase and program in sweet dream scenarios to force your brain to encounter, that would be that much cooler, potentially educational, profitable, and yes, really scary.

#17 Jay

Jay

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

View Postjohnnybee4e, on Oct 5 2009, 10:51 PM, said:

"An airplane cannot take off from a runway which is moving backwards (like a treadmill) at a speed equal to its normal ground speed during takeoff.

busted

First some small-scale tests were performed with a model airplane on a treadmill and the plane was able to take off. For the large-scale test, the MythBusters used a 400 pound ultralight aircraft with a 2000 foot tarp under it. The tarp was pulled backwards to simulate a moving runway. The ultralight pilot had no trouble taking off. This is because the thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground.

thank you google.

i just watched this video.
i was actually considering the case where the only thing happening was the treadmill running underneath the plane, like a tablecloth being pulled out from underneath a table setting.

but in the case of this image

View PostDollaBills, on Oct 5 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

Posted Image
the plane couldn't take off. it would hit the front of the treadmill if it tried.

#18 sam sanford

sam sanford

OMG! Wat hav I dun?

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

View Poststretts, on Oct 5 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

what defines reality, is there a social construction of reality? or do we construct our reality ourselves?

i cbf answering these right now, maybe later

http://en.wikipedia....cle_Maintenance
http://en.wikipedia....iry_into_Morals

reality is completely based on quality.
Posted Image

thepersonandthepeople.bandcamp.com

#19 johnnybee4e

johnnybee4e

Evil Shenanigans!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

View PostJay, on Oct 5 2009, 11:59 PM, said:

let me preface this by saying i probably agree with you. but for the sake of discussion and to play devil's advocate:

idk, man. provided the same 9-5 work schedule. thats more leisure and family time. more time for hobbies. If you could use the 6 hours a day (almost two full days a week, about 90 extra days a year) and work towards anything you want, learning a new instrument, language, cooking technique, your life could have that much more depth to it.

^^thats the billion dollar pitch.

also, an addendum, if you could purchase and program in sweet dream scenarios to force your brain to encounter, that would be that much cooler, potentially educational, profitable, and yes, really scary.

the thought of all of that extra time being used for lesiure is a nice gesture, and really does work as a good sales pitch, but (for the sake of argument and discussion of course) i feel that most people wouldnt do such things. using time in an effective manner seems to be something that eludes many people these days (myself included, as im writing a paper for a class as im responding to this) and i feel that people as a whole would take all of that extra time for granted, so rather than using it to actually pursue anything that they wanted, theyd probably sit on their asses watching that newest episode of the hills to see if heidi and spencer actually make up or break up or masturbating to furries and captain picard getting it on or something.

as far as the sweet dream scenarios, that can almost be achieved by having lucid dreams. so rather than spending boku bucks on a machine to make you dream about megan fox giving you dome while the two black robots beetbox and jive talk in the background, you can attempt to train yourself to do such things. maybe not quite to the level of that hypothetical machine, but hey, the poor need some sick ass dreams too, no?

#20 Buster

Buster

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:08 AM

Lol, I'm writing a paper too. It's due by 5 tomorrow (errr... today).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users