1627 replies to this topic

#1621 TeleuteDPu

TeleuteDPu

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

Loving Mr. Robot, just caught up on The Americans & Manhattan, WESTWORLD next & if I get time, I'll have to try Atlanta.

#1622 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Interests:Getting rid of bombs

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

I've been Netflix'ing my way through X-Files for the first time ever.

What a spectacular show that was (is?)
"Hi, I'm a recovering crackhead, and this is my retarded sister I take care of. I'd like some welfare please."

#1623 robholding

robholding

Heart Throb Holding

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Interests:playing guitar and piano, gaming, films, reading. The usual, really. Oh, and physics. I like physics lots.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

View Postdaniel, on 22 September 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Decided to check Atlanta out and have mixed feelings about it.

I've been enjoying it so far!

#1624 Sigafoos

Sigafoos

SIGGITYFIGGITYFIGGITYFOOS

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Interests:fnord

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

I posted this in the chat last night, but I'm finally watching Bojack Horseman and oh my god I love Vincent Adultman so much.

I hope to set an example. You know, for children and stuff.

#1625 DerekAdams32

DerekAdams32

Oh, What A Terrible, Terrible Game He Plays!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Scary Movies, Strategy Games

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

Westworld is exactly what I needed while waiting for Game of Thrones.
Posted Image

#1626 RabbitRan

RabbitRan

Eddie Eddie Eddie

• Artistic Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:33 AM

I am a massive fan of excellent series, and boy howdy have there been some amazing ones the last few years. Here's a run-down of some of my favorites (at least the ones I can remember off of the top of my head). Get ready to read some gushing blurbs full of absolutes and extremes.

Also, last minute decided to throw in a song from each series. This has taken an hour of my time, somehow. Why did I write all of this.

Westworld is fantastic so far, great in every aspect. I'll be astounded if they can keep the level of quality this high consistently, but then again we are living in the golden age of "TV" (more like golden age of shows/series, really, rather than just television). I won't spoil anything, but the scene/monologue at the end (the "I Want to Meet My Maker" scene) had some of the best acting I've ever seen, and I'm not talking about Tony Hopkins (who is still absolutely wonderful). I'm talking about Louis Herthum. His performance had me stunned, captivated, unable to tear myself away from watching.

Mr Robot's second season just ended, and I think with it's closing I can safely say that it's my favorite show. The second season started on a slow burn (which I still highly enjoyed) but a few episodes in a switch flipped and then every episode had me literally sitting on the edge of my seat, afraid to blink in case I'd miss any of what was unfolding on the screen. This show gets the neurons in my brain firing, and rewards that analytical sleuth-like viewing tremendously. The next season cannot come quick enough.

A (very very) close second to Mr Robot in terms of my favorites ever is Fargo. Both seasons have been works of art, just wonderful in all regards. I think it's been a while since the last season of Fargo ended, and as far as I know the next season is airing Spring 2017, so I'm eagerly looking forward to that!

https://youtu.be/9HRGcXq5adY?t=237

Documentary Now is killing it every week, too. This (2nd) season's best episode by far was "Juan Loves Chicken and Rice", a parody of "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", and they completely nailed it. Aside from being incredibly funny, the family drama at the heart of it was surprisingly touching, and at the very end I was almost tearing up. That's what's so special about Documentary Now: they aren't just taking these classic documentaries and turning them into joke mills, or making fun of them. There is a genuine love for the source material, a love that's present in every level of the production. They find what made the originals so special and intriguing and keep that core intact, playing a lot of it straight and letting the laughs develop organically.

Preacher is a weird show. It's really, really, really weird. I adore it. The season started slow, but every episode picked up the pace until it ended with an explosive finale, and I'm praying to that ol' Godman up there that the second season isn't too far away. I don't even know what more to say about it, really, only to recommend that you go into it without reading anything about it, and trust me enough to keep with it for at least a few episodes if it doesn't immediately hook you. It's worth it.
Alright I'll say one thing: one of the main characters is an Irish junkie vampire and he's the best character of anything ever. I'd do him.

Every new episode of Steven Universe brings me so much pure joy, even while it's making me not-so-lowkey tear up. For an 11-minute 'children's show', there is enormous depth to the world and characters of Steven Universe. I greatly admire the way the series drops tiny clues everywhere, and what seems to be just a throwaway gag or random background element is latr revealed to be something important. Theory-crafting feels much more rewarding when it's a show this well thought out.

There's a reason I used two songs here.
Adventure Time. The show that set the stage for a new generation of insanely talented animators and artists working in the cartoon industry. Doing a little research into the people who write, storyboard, and direct the show reveals an array of incredible indie-comics creators and animators (including one of my all-time favorites Jesse Moynihan, creator of the comic FORMING) and their various gifts are displayed brilliantly in the show. While there are definitely intriguing arcs and running storylines, the last few seasons of Adventure Time have almost been a medium through which these artists can share unique self-contained stories that you'd never find anywhere else on cable. New, insightful takes on growing up and the pain and sorrow that accompanies it, combined with often-subtle but mind-blowing philosophical discussions unmatched in so-called adult prestige dramas, all wrapped in a vibrant beautifully animated package makes for a show that will certainly have an huge impact on you.
Oh, that first song I used up there for AT? Came out of nowhere at the end of an episode, and gave me shivers. And I teared up. I'm easy to make tear up, so what, videos on Facebook about heroic dogs (or just any dogs really) should make ANYONE cry.
The second song comes from an episode I'd recommend to anybody. If there's one episode of this show you should watch, its this one. Food Chain: written, storyboarded, and directed all by one man, Masaaki Yuasa. Yuasa is my favorite person working in animation right now, everything he's ever made is astounding (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong!, Mind Game, Kemonozume).

That's all for now, there are more but I've probably wasted too much time doing this. I just want to talk about the things I love, they keep me going every day, and fuel my drive to make my own stories.
Now to find out if there's already an Anime thread, because if I were to include some of the weird and amazing little-known anime series and movies I've watched in the last few years it'd be at least 3-4x longer. I'm not talking about your moe or shonen shitfests; I'm talking about genuinely moving works of art; the good shit.

#1627 daniel

daniel

BASED MOD

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Music and sitch.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

We'll talk about how we'll change but we will never follow through.
Posted Image

#1628 RabbitRan

RabbitRan

Eddie Eddie Eddie

• Artistic Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Interests:art

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

View Postdaniel, on 16 October 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

you caught me