WeAreDormin777

King of Everything

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Music, Video Games, Reading, Friends, Talking, Etc Etc

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

Maybe I'm overthinking this...

But starting at the 5:30 mark, the steam boat: The Boy used that to leave the City (Now pulling into the docks.
The car driver and the woman in the back seat: (The Boy driving the Car and Ms. Leading in the back? Or Ms. Leading in the back meaning that she's still being a prostitute?) And the men in the photographs waiting in the docks. (Soldiers from the war?)

I don't know if that part was referencing all the Acts. Or I'm just crazy.

If you did that intentionally Casey, you are one clever bearded man.
Sing Softly, Sing me to The Lake...
Sing Softly, Bring me to The Lake...

#42 Scott

Scott

Stapp

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

that was beautiful. After only one take (there are probably many layers I didn't even catch) I think the coolest effect was the smoke swirling effect when the song transitioned into the bitter suite melody with the town in the background.

#43 Scott

Scott

Stapp

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

watched again: more thoughts.

1. I find it interesting this video is unlisted so you can't actually search for it directly from youtube.

2. Anyone think the cartoony sketch at 1:57 might actually be story art?

#44 cgarza

cgarza

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:09 AM

View PostWeAreDormin777, on 25 June 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

But starting at the 5:30 mark, the steam boat: The Boy used that to leave the City (Now pulling into the docks.

It could be, he is coming back from the war. But it did catch fire as it was leaving,

#45 TheLakeSouth

TheLakeSouth

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Music, burritos, playing bass, asking questions, living life and such cause hey, why not.

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

Okay, so I've been thinking about this song a ton, and after the lyric video release yesterday, I've been having these thoughts, especially now that these lyrics have some visual to go along with them...

I feel like this song is like THE perfect song to release because it's a 9 minute preview of an album we've been waiting for for years now. It literally is a "trailer" for the album and that just gets me all pumped up inside.

Also, I feel as if when it goes into the Bitter Suite part that it's The Boy seeing Ms. Leading for the first time after the war. I love the thought process of The Boy thinking about The Son as well. It seems that The Boy didn't realize the consequences of taking the place of someone else.

(Apologies if these thoughts have been put up somewhere else)
So, so they say.

#46 cgarza

cgarza

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

The track list was released a week or two ago, and there's Bitter Suites IV, V, and VI!

#47 Cal

Cal

i can't control my niggaz, and my niggaz can't control m

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:crying and listening to bthats

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

View Postcasey crescenzo, on 25 June 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 25 June 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostWeAreDormin777, on 25 June 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Postcasey crescenzo, on 25 June 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

View PostWeAreDormin777, on 25 June 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

My first thought.

On a side note I love Art Deco this music video was great.

And man do I want a screen shot of the city when the chorus is playing.

Ask and ye shall receive:

You just made my computer wallpaper for the next couple months.

Oh, my soul is happy.

Also Casey did you do all the artwork yourself? It's absolutely gorgeous.

I did, indeed! Thank you kindly!

Obviously, the use of the cover art was just masking up layers of the actual cover art by Nicky Barkla- but the photos from the 1920s? yeah i snapped those.

nice

#48 Zeiu

Zeiu

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

Casey, I'm curious on why you chose this song to put out first, compared to Wait or Waves which seem like the obvious singles?

Edited by Zeiu, 02 July 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#49 CruelAndBitterHeart

CruelAndBitterHeart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

I'm seriously in love with this song! I feel like Casey took the sound of the Acts and then combined it with everything he's learned from doing the Color Spectrum and Migrant and made kind of "the ultimate Dear Hunter" sound. Love it.

#50 casey crescenzo

casey crescenzo

Hunter

• The Dear Hunter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

POPULAR

View PostZeiu, on 02 July 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Casey, I'm curious on why you chose this song to put out first, compared to Wait or Waves which seem like the obvious singles?

Hey there....

I think the key is that this isn't a traditional album, and this isn't a traditional single approach. Putting out this song first is much more about reaching out to fans of the band... more than attracting new people to the band.

I've heard a few people say that elements of the song were 'fan service', which is simultaneously a compliment and criticism, I feel... but in reality - this was one of the first tracks we really dug our teeth into while writing the record - and it is also about a pivotal moment in the story - so all of the musical allusions to previous and future songs/motifs arose from a place of genuine purpose.

It was also about putting my foot down about the type of band this is. There are going to be 3 to 3 1/2 minute songs in the band's discography - there are going to be mindlessly poppy songs - there will undoubtedly be choruses that are singable... but the purpose of the band is to be creative and organic, not to hit it big on the radio - and releasing a 9 minute track feels like the right first step to reclaiming that identity.

#51 ZeppelinDT

ZeppelinDT

The Tank

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Interests:Getting rid of bombs

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

^^^ Perfect summary of why I will be a fan for life.
"Hi, I'm a recovering crackhead, and this is my retarded sister I take care of. I'd like some welfare please."

#52 KlaudioKil

KlaudioKil

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Making music, films, books, plays...

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

View Postcasey crescenzo, on 04 July 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

There are going to be 3 to 3 1/2 minute songs in the band's discography - there are going to be mindlessly poppy songs - there will undoubtedly be choruses that are singable... but the purpose of the band is to be creative and organic, not to hit it big on the radio - and releasing a 9 minute track feels like the right first step to reclaiming that identity.

I always appreciated the diversity of the band, and felt like that was an important part of The Dear Hunter's identify. I love the fact that there can be a catchy, short pop song followed by an epic 9-minute prog rock opera track on a TDH record. The dynamism is part of what makes your music so engaging. Thank you for the new song, it is amazing!

#53 Steve

Steve

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

I definitely get the vibe of him meeting up with Miss Leading when the song references the old Bitter Suite stuff. Awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users