Jump to content


An analysis of Acts I-IVIn anticipation of Act V


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 remainder

remainder

    n00b or lurker?

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Gender:m

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

I know there have been numerous attempts at a full analysis of the Acts both here and various other places, but out of excitement on the announcement of Act V, I've decided to share mine. I initially wrote this for a friend to summarise my understanding of the story, and she suggested I post it. I initially held off, but today, I just decided to post it.

Please share your opinions, point out errors, and generally, enjoy!

https://www.dropbox....- Acts.pdf?dl=0

#2 The Bare Hunter

The Bare Hunter

    n00b or lurker?

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:36 AM

Very well done, sir! Although, I am curious as to how you could possible decipher small minute details like Ms. Leading's red scarf in Act II. When I read the lyrics I dont see anything about a red scarf or anything cryptic that could mean a red scarf. Also, stuff like The Boy falling unconscious at the end of The Lake and the River. How did you come to the conclusion that that's what happened? Again, fantastic job!

#3 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

    Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

  • Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Gender:f
  • Location:Silver Spring, MD
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostThe Bare Hunter, on 24 June 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Very well done, sir! Although, I am curious as to how you could possible decipher small minute details like Ms. Leading's red scarf in Act II. When I read the lyrics I dont see anything about a red scarf or anything cryptic that could mean a red scarf. Also, stuff like The Boy falling unconscious at the end of The Lake and the River. How did you come to the conclusion that that's what happened? Again, fantastic job!

Some of the stuff is from the Act II booklet and Act III postcards that came with the original pressings of the music. The booklet is basically a mini graphic novel and those things are in there. Also, Casey lets some minor details slip from time to time if you're lucky.

This is amazing by the way! I've read several interpretations, but this is the first time I've made the connection that The Boy becomes his own version of the Thief, Poison Woman, etc. It kind of blew my mind. Very nicely done.

Edited by twotimesthedime, 24 June 2016 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

#4 Grizzly Bear Arcade

Grizzly Bear Arcade

    Awoke Alone

  • Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Gender:m
  • Location:Ida fuckin Ho
  • Interests:Fuckin' shit and stuff.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 24 June 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostThe Bare Hunter, on 24 June 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Very well done, sir! Although, I am curious as to how you could possible decipher small minute details like Ms. Leading's red scarf in Act II. When I read the lyrics I dont see anything about a red scarf or anything cryptic that could mean a red scarf. Also, stuff like The Boy falling unconscious at the end of The Lake and the River. How did you come to the conclusion that that's what happened? Again, fantastic job!

Some of the stuff is from the Act II booklet and Act III postcards that came with the original pressings of the music. The booklet is basically a mini graphic novel and those things are in there. Also, Casey lets some minor details slip from time to time if you're lucky.

This is amazing by the way! I've read several interpretations, but this is the first time I've made the connection that The Boy becomes the Thief, Poison Woman, etc. It kind of blew my mind. Very nicely done.

I'm unable to read it because my phone won't open the file, but I'm not sure the boy could become the thief because I believe Casey has said that the thief gives something very important to the boy. However, I've never figured out what it was.
The night keeps looking our way.

#5 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

    Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

  • Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Gender:f
  • Location:Silver Spring, MD
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostGrizzly Bear Arcade, on 24 June 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 24 June 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostThe Bare Hunter, on 24 June 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Very well done, sir! Although, I am curious as to how you could possible decipher small minute details like Ms. Leading's red scarf in Act II. When I read the lyrics I dont see anything about a red scarf or anything cryptic that could mean a red scarf. Also, stuff like The Boy falling unconscious at the end of The Lake and the River. How did you come to the conclusion that that's what happened? Again, fantastic job!

Some of the stuff is from the Act II booklet and Act III postcards that came with the original pressings of the music. The booklet is basically a mini graphic novel and those things are in there. Also, Casey lets some minor details slip from time to time if you're lucky.

This is amazing by the way! I've read several interpretations, but this is the first time I've made the connection that The Boy becomes the Thief, Poison Woman, etc. It kind of blew my mind. Very nicely done.

I'm unable to read it because my phone won't open the file, but I'm not sure the boy could become the thief because I believe Casey has said that the thief gives something very important to the boy. However, I've never figured out what it was.

It wasn't meant literally, it was more of a comparison the writer pointed out. For clarity, in the file it says that The Boy "becomes" each of the incarnations of war in the last half of Act III. He becomes The Tank, because he learns to kill and follow the orders of his superiors in Go Get Your Gun. The Thief, because The Boy steals The Son's identity in The Son. The Poison Woman, because he kills The Father using her methods in The Father. And lastly, in Life and Death, The Boy shreds the last of his humanity in the horrific acts he has committed thus far, proving him as soulless as the Mustard Gas Brigade.

Sorry for the confusion, hope this clears it up!
Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

#6 Grizzly Bear Arcade

Grizzly Bear Arcade

    Awoke Alone

  • Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Gender:m
  • Location:Ida fuckin Ho
  • Interests:Fuckin' shit and stuff.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

It does, and I really like that analysis, actually.
The night keeps looking our way.

#7 remainder

remainder

    n00b or lurker?

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Gender:m

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback :)

A lot of the details for Act II came from the booklet for Act III, as twotimesthedime said. I haven't seen my Act III 2nd half theory anywhere else though, so I thought it might be one of the more interesting parts to share, and really brings home the themes of the album (if it's right, of course).

#8 Snakenole

Snakenole

    Introducing of Ms. Terri

  • Regulars
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Gender:m

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

Good stuff. I could lose a lot of time reading and rereading this.

#9 remainder

remainder

    n00b or lurker?

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Gender:m

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

OK, so clearly after Casey's Q&A last night, I need to heavily revise parts of this! Ms. Leading *is* at the end of A Night on the Town...

I'll add the changes and revisions along with my thoughts on Act V, but thanks to everyone who has read it so far!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users