• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Kielbasa Kid

The Kielbasa Kid

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

Hunter is clearly effed. I assume after he dies, there is nowhere for him to go but straight to hell. The constant references to a heaven and a hell throughout the Acts kind-of foreshadow what will happen to our protagonist. If that is not enough, let us count the number of people who died notable deaths throughout the Acts. Ms. Terri, the Son, the Father, Miss Leading (I assume), the Pimp and the Priest, and Hunter. Originally, I was wondering why everyone died in pairs. I even assumed the connection between Miss Terri and Leading to be that they both worked at The Dime. Only recently did I throw that theory away because those characters did not die together, or even in the same Act. The key to me is the total number of deaths - 6. S a t a n.

Those of you who are not of the same opinion, you can stop here.

I will refer to the post of WeAreDormin777.

His post, "The Complete Story Song By Song", provides a well thought-out story that these songs tell. I find his interpretation to be accurate. Especially with what happens in The Thief, because I can barely make out what Casey is singing. One area I have confusion on is the origin of Mr. Usher. Dormin states that Mr. Usher is "a relic of his time", which in my case, makes it all the more intriguing.

I believe that Mr. Usher in fact IS a relic of their time. The constant references, especially the most recent in The Most Cursed of Hands, include religion - heaven AND hell. My above assumption is that Hunter is going to hell for his actions over the course of his life. My second point lies in the fact that Mr. Usher seemingly emerges out of nowhere, something Dormin covered well. Mr. Usher can properly be deemed a catalyst of the events to come, causing Hunter to burn down The Dime and subsequently the church as well. As a result, he caused the "final showdown" between Hunter and the P&P.

P.S. How "Miss Leading" is autological in that she misled him to believe the feelings between them meant something, and "Mr. Usher" could also be autological as in he is "ushering" Hunter into the afterlife.

#2 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

I didn't go to any of the Story Nights, but from what I remember, Mr. Usher is a character who is there to 'usher in' the end of the story. He's just a man, albeit a rather cruel and clever one. Somebody asked Casey if he was the Devil and he said something along the lines of, "Isn't it so much worse if he's just a man?"

As an aside, your assumption that Ms. Leading dies is correct - the Priest/Pimp murders her with the reprise of Melpomene after The Flame and before The Fire.
I will not be a parasite.

#3 The Kielbasa Kid

The Kielbasa Kid

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

Dang. And here I am thinking that I'm having original revelations. Thank you for the insight. I am still in search of where the next step might be taken in the story. Have you any ideas of your own on how the story might progress?

Thanks for replying, I wasn't sure if I would be noticed as a newcomer.

#4 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Nah, everybody here's pretty friendly. This forum doesn't see much activity these days, though. Reddit and Facebook are where a lot of people are, plus some Discord groups.

As for what Act VI entails, I have no idea. I only know that it's probably not a musical project, which leads me to believe that whatever it is doesn't lend it self to music all that well. If it still follows Hunter into whatever afterlife he's headed for, my guess would be some sort of purgatory where he is forced to come to terms with all of the things that have happened in his life. I'm not totally convinced that he's really done that, even with his final conversation with the apparition.
I will not be a parasite.

#5 The Kielbasa Kid

The Kielbasa Kid

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I know that whatever plan Casey has for the story, it is going to be quality work. And you're right about the final conversation with the apparition, he is still asking for absolution. What leads you to believe that Act VI will not be strictly musical, though? I only started listening to this band earlier this year, and being tardy to the party, I have come to assume that it would follow the form of the acts before it.

#6 Grizzly Bear Arcade

Grizzly Bear Arcade

Awoke Alone

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:Fuckin' shit and stuff.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

Casey has stated that Act V would be the last "rock" record and that VI would likely be a different medium altogether.
The night keeps looking our way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users