- - - - -

Favourite Albums 2015

favourite albums 2015 2015 sufjan stevens act iv albums rap electronic my morning jacket kendrick lamar

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ventariux

Ventariux

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

Merry Chirstmas everyone! What a great opportunity to gift each other with some of the great music released this year. Here´s my favourite Albums ( they aren´t in any particular order of ranking just split into categories):
Rock:
  • The Dear Hunter - Act IV (Obviously)
  • Mew - +- (dream pop, Shoegaze, and post rock vibes)
  • 3rd Degree - One's and Zero's (Retrofuturistic with Beatlesque Harmonies)
  • Tame Impala - Currents (Synthy Psychedlic)
  • Unkown Mortal Orchestra - Multi Love (Psychedlic Fun)
  • Everything Everything - Get To Heaven (Really Catchy Electronic Art Pop/Rock)
  • Kaddisfly Horses - Galloping on Sailboats (Post Hard-core with variety and new prog)
  • Toehider - Mainly Songs About Robots (Prog Metal with Queen vibes and mindblowing vocal range)
  • David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock (Best guitars this year)
  • Elbow - Lost Worker Bee EP (Chill Indie Rock)
  • Guy Garvey - Courting the Squall (Elbow´s Frontman Solo Project With some Jazzy vibes)
  • Electric Light Orchestra - Alone In The Universe (Dad Rock In It´s Best Form)
  • Albert Hammond Jr. - Momentary Masters (Indie Rock with some great guitar Layering, Strokes Guitarist Solo Project)
  • Simple Songs - Jim O Rourke (Proggy stuff from Mega Producer of Sonic Youth, Wilco, Stereolab and Joanna Newsom)
  • Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase (Progressive Pop/Rock Solo Project From Porcupine Tree´s mastermind)
  • Miracles Of Modern Science - Modern Dreams (String Quartet playing like an indie rock band with drums and vocals:Awesome)
Rap/Hip Hop:
  • Donnie Trumpet And The Social Experiment - Surf (Really Soulful beats and great personalities rapping lke Chance The rapper)
  • Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo And Youth (Seasonal concept Album with great variety, rapping and lyricism)
  • Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly (Dark Jazzy Beats with excellent rapping and lyricism)
  • Ceschi - Broken Bone Ballads (Folk rap in the best way imaginable)
  • Dr Dre - Compton (At times seems like progressive rap with the number of beat changes and cinematic scope)
  • Skyzoo - Music For My Friends (Great jazzy production and concept)
  • Raury - All We Need (Baroque Folk Tribal Electronic Jazz Rap similar to Outkast in some ways)
  • Logic - The Incredible True Story (Scifi concept album with repetitive beats that sound like Akira and Cowboy Bebop)
  • Death Grips - Jenny Death (Experimental Industrial Punk Rap maybe repulsive for some ears but man it gets me so pumped)
  • Eric Mandarina - Error (Weird Argentinian funky beatbox rap with brasses and slap guitar)
Baroque Pop
  • Dianne Coffee - Everybody´s A Good Dog (Beach Boys and Gospel vibes)
  • Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness (Beautiful and quirky singer songwriter with great production)
  • Timbre - Sun & Moon (Conceptual Masterpiece Double Album one disc Baroque Pop other Classical)
  • Bjork - Vulnicura (Heartbreaking with mix of strings and electronics)
  • Florence And The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How beautiful (Indie Baroque Pop with great singing. Oddly it reminds me of Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road)
  • Joanna Newsom - Divers (Great harp Singer Songwriter stuff)
R & B/ Jazz / Soul:
  • Daniel Johns - Talk (Electronic/Expirimental/Pop/R&B and really catchy from Silverchair's Frontman,who could have expected this?)
  • Lianne Le Havas - Blood (Lovely Voice and Quirky songwriting with some futuristic soul vibes)
  • Alabama Shakes - Sound & Colour (Soulful Catchy Stuff)
  • Prince - Hit N Run Phase One (Underrated Experimental and fun with Great production)
  • Kamasi Washington - The Epic (Jazz Monster Masterpiece triple album)
  • Fka Twigs - M3LL155X (Weird Electronic R&B Ep)
  • Mark Ronson - Uptown Special (Also Underrated, 70´s vibes modernized)
  • Roman Gian Arthur - Ok Lady ( EP Remix Of Radio Head and D´Angelo With Great interpretations Singing and Guitar Wise)
Electronic (Some Really Weird Shit here):
  • Arca - Mutant (Cold Progressive Electronic music from a dystopian future)
  • Savant - Invasion (Fun complextro with some chiptune sounds and great variety)
  • Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden Of Delete (Progressive Electronic with some weird random stuff all over the place: Really Cool)
  • Nero - Between II Worlds (Great Pop Electronic with Depeche Mode and Scifi Vibes)
  • Iglooghost - Chinese Nü Yr (Weird Glossy and Colorful Progessive Electronic Ep with Acid all over it)
  • Nicholas Godin - ContrEPoint (Baroque clasical melodies with 70´s synths and much more variety Solo project from one of the guys from Air)
  • Holly Herndon - Platform (Great and weird, catchy futuristic progressive electronic music made with vocal layering of another dimension and Internet Browser Sounds)
Folk:
  • Destroyer - Poison Season (Like Dylan singin over and orchestra: Awesome)
  • My Morning Jacket - Waterfall (Psychedlic and progressive with Gospell hints)
  • Father John Misty - I Love You Honey Bear (Great songs and orchestration with some ocassional funny satire of today´s society)
  • Sufjan Stevens - Carrie And Lowell (Heart Breaking)
Pop:
  • Duran Duran - Paper Gods (Underrated It´s got some shitty filler but great production and features)
  • Grimes - Art Angels (Bublegum pop on Acid, some weak tracks in the first half but really catchy stuff)
  • Neon Indian - Vega INTL night school (Really Catchy 80´s throwback with some progressive electronic manipulations)
Overall, I think it was a great year for music in my opinion hope you can hook me to some stuff I haven´t heard in the the comments and I hope that I achieved the same to you with this list. Shout out to allmediareviews.blogspot he hooked to some stuff that I didn´t find anywhere else on the internet. Check him out he listens to some great music similar like the dear hunter Here´s two lists he made:http://allmediarevie...-countdown.html
http://rateyourmusic..._prog_umbrella/

Also Casey, if you´re reading this, it would be nice for you to tell us the favourite stuff since apart from creating some of the best stuff I´ve ever heard. You hooked me up with other great music by listening to your interviews (which you should do more, I´m still waiting for a second Kevin Pereira in depth about Act IV) like Silverchair, Van Dyke Parks and Mr. Bungle. And of course all the bands you´ve produced: The River Empires, Brobecks,etc. Can´t wait for the Wood Bros. Anyways, thanks to all of you guys also you´re one of the best communities/fanbases. And let´s hope next year will be better (It probably won´t without another Dear Hunter record. But let´s hope Casey drops another project since he hinted at having more creative output).

#2 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

That is a great list and ima check out the ones i havent heard of from it :D Will throw in my list later today hopefully

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#3 Grizzly Bear Arcade

Grizzly Bear Arcade

Awoke Alone

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Fuckin' shit and stuff.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

Thank you for the list. I had no idea that Daniel Johns came out with something. I'll have to check that out. This year saw new releases from Faith No More than Blur, both were fantastic albums. I just got the new Weerd Science the other day and I'm enjoying that. Then there was Refused. What a piece of shit that album was. What a disappointment.
The night keeps looking our way.

#4 Ventariux

Ventariux

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hey we should get casey and the gang to drop their favourite stuff here. I tried over twitter but had no response :( Maybe some of you guys has a more direct contanct with the band. I checked the faith no more and blur and liked the them but didn't get deep enough to add them in my favourites.

#5 Jorss

Jorss

Hurr Durr

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

I think I came across this same list on reddit so I'm assuming that was you :P

Posted Image

#6 Ventariux

Ventariux

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

Yup, should have mentioned that :P Thought I could get more people's opinions and have a greater conversation. Also I'm really curious about what the guys from the band pick.

#7 Jorss

Jorss

Hurr Durr

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:35 AM

I'm sticking with that my favourite album of 2015 is Pale Horses by mewithoutYou (TDH gets second place I know this is probably blasphemy here :P)

Posted Image

#8 Ventariux

Ventariux

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Lol! Yeah I wouldn't mind puting one over TDH but overall I couldn't it was genuinly the one I listened to the most and got a more a emotional conection and took time to analyze. Even though i kind of didn't rank my list because of how difficult it would be. Being so indicisive myself, the only certain thing i can give away is that Act IV ranks at 1 in my favourites.

#9 Jorss

Jorss

Hurr Durr

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:31 AM

Yeh I can't rank really :P

anyway these are my most listened to albums of the past year :P

so I mean that's saying something, I mean I could just take all the 2015 ones out and put them in order and I'd have a top something :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 SoundscapeMN

SoundscapeMN

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:38 AM

hey thanks again for passing my blog and rym list along.

just going over some of the stuff I'm unfamiliar with,

-Toehider, I wishlisted an album of theirs on rym last year, but don't have much recollection if I ever got around to hearing much of it, lol. I probably should then.
I've never heard any Dianne Coffee nor Julia Holter. Any song recs?
And along those lines, the Florence and the Machine album: it all sounds like Thunder Road from Springsteen? Or did you mean the Born to Run album? I happen to be a fan of Bruce, namely the 70's stuff, and Born to Run I still consider his best work ("Jungleland" is arguably progressive rock, and has been my favorite tune of his since becoming a fan really).

Edited by SoundscapeMN, 31 December 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#11 Ventariux

Ventariux

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:45 AM

Toehider are Awesome the dude has a great vocal range and is crazy in the best way, you'll dig them really catchy and campy stuff kind of like the future of queen a little bit more metal with really funny lyrics, check out What kind of creature am I? if you don't have the time check their song "Whatever Makes You Feel Superior". Dianne Coffee feels like a guy from the late 60's in this age with some great songs check Spring Breathes. Julia Holter it's just really beautiful music with lot's of personality and quirkiness to it check "Bootsy On The Roof". Yeah lol I meant Born To Run. Even though now after quite a few listens it's not that similar I just get some vibes. I'm also a fan of Bruce's 70's stuff I'm always wondering between the wild the innocent and the e street shuffle and Born To Run. Even though people praise his lyrical chops I think he and his band are specially underrated when it comes to musical chops, maybe my ears are more musically oriented than words oriented. Jungleland is also probably my favourite and then Kitty's Back.

Also tagged with favourite albums 2015, 2015, sufjan stevens, act iv, albums, rap, electronic, my morning jacket, kendrick lamar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users