#1 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

I did a quick forum search and didn't get any results for a thread of this nature, so I figured I'd start one. If I'm an idiot and this already exists, feel free to laugh and point fingers at me while the tears of embarrassment streak down my face.

So I like to (poorly) sing along with Casey from time to time while listening to TDH, but occasionally find myself at a loss as to what is actually being said. I have a couple of examples to get the train rolling, so to speak.

In 1878, I always thought the chorus was "Fell in another hole / for the night, for the night / loss of control / fall in love, fall in love" My reasoning was that Ms. Terri desperately needed money, and was forced to spend a night with some gentleman caller despite her abandoning of the job at The Dime. In addition, she found herself falling in love with her new child in spite of her hesitation to do so (for a variety of reasons, being in constant danger probably pretty high on the list).

On a lighter note, I thought the chain gang bit before Oracles said "Beggin' my condom make the wheels go round" for the longest time, and had to look it up to figure out what it actually was.

So what about you guys? Any lines you heard wrong on the Acts, TCS, Migrant, etc.?
I will not be a parasite.

#2 George Costanza

George Costanza

future NBA #1 overall draft pick

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

"Subjective lyrics" thread here for ya.
I have always been 100% sure the first lines of In Cauda Venenmenemenum said: "awoken with the nerds to own and occupy". Not kidding. I still hear those words whenever I listen to the song.
Also, you asked for it:

please be nice

#3 Kari

Kari

Tough Lover

• Artistic Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, painting, children, animals, nature, cartoons, gardening, and BEER

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

(in all seriousness I'm not trying to be mean, this is just some friendly razzing)
Posted Image
Never climb the ladder. EVER.

#4 spartian995

spartian995

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

In Lake and the River..."In the Hands of Goats, we're never responsible!" I knew it didn't say that but heard it one day as that and now it's the only way I hear it ha

#5 lochnesscheska

lochnesscheska

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Waving at NYC food vendors

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

I misheard "Suffering through the common sense." as "Suffering through the Comic Sans" then found out when my sister got into TDH that she thought the exact same thing. It totally made resonated since I'm a graphic designer and Comic Sans makes me feel nauseous...
"All of humankind has one thing in common: the sandwich. I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich." - Liz Lemon

Posted Image

#6 theryan

theryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:music, space, rocks, space-rocks, old wooden ships.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

My friends and I sometimes cover His Hand Matched his Tongue. We like to start the second verse off with "The smeeeellll ooffff pooop."

We weren't mishearing anything, we're just a bunch of 20-something year old children. So yeah. It's just so beautiful that way.

But on the topic of that song, I always thought the 2nd verse lyrics were "The smell of smoke. The evening sky was bruised." I guess the last word there should be proof. I still sing it as bruised, because I think that's a cool way to describe smoke in the sky.

Also, screw comic sans.

#7 Dave.

Dave.

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

View Posttheryan, on 08 July 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

But on the topic of that song, I always thought the 2nd verse lyrics were "The smell of smoke. The evening sky was bruised." I guess the last word there should be proof. I still sing it as bruised, because I think that's a cool way to describe smoke in the sky.

I hear it and sing it the same way. Always have
You can't be caught red handed if you're not red handed

#8 conceptionary

conceptionary

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Not really TDH but when I used to listen to The Receiving End of Sirens, I always did so when I played World of Warcraft. For some reason, the lyrics always sounded like they were associated with the game.. example from the Rival Cycle: "Alongside all hearts as they finish with backdrop cities" I heard, "As they finish with Blackrock Cities" and This Armistice "We're all puppets, were all marionettes" For some reason, I would hear "We're all flight paths" ........ : ( pretty dumb I know!!!

#9 Alyson

Alyson

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Reading, horror movies, wrasslin', cats, Guy Fieri

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

The Pimp and the Priest: "since we made him pasta." I can never hear anything else, even after looking up the lyrics.

#10 Captain

Captain

Maybe we're just never meant to know why

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff poorly but having fun doing it

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

"Strangers in the soil, so hide your manatee..."
I will not be a parasite.

#11 thejman

thejman

Introducing of Ms. Terri

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:music, art, politics, movies

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

The Thief "A crooked mind, an honest heart of celery"

#12 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

The Procession. I hear "O the Scientist, I think he likes this" instead of "helpless hiding tongues, bathed in revulsion." Every. Time.

I think Razia's Shadow is to blame.
Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

#13 Lyricon

Lyricon

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Developing myself, experiencing things, contemplating existence, y'know.

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

View Posttwotimesthedime, on 05 May 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

The Procession. I hear "O the Scientist, I think he likes this" instead of "helpless hiding tongues, bathed in revulsion." Every. Time.

I think Razia's Shadow is to blame.

Thread Is Dead, but I'm posting anyway.

I find The Procession to be exceedingly good at tricking you into thinking it's saying some real weird stuff. For example, instead of "She's inanimate", I always hear "She's in anime"; instead of "Helpless hiding tongues", I can't help but hear "Helpless Huntington's" (as in the disease); I hear "Baked in lies" from the combination of "(Bathed in revulsion)" and "Her lies unfinished"; as well as "He learned to count on his own" instead of "Beyond the home, he'd learn to call his own".

I could probably make an entire misheard lyrics video for that song.

Last.fm

Do Barney The Dinosaur appears on Act V?

#14 Holyhunter

Holyhunter

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, finding ways to make things awkward

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

Took me a few listens to realize that Mr. Usher is the "main manipulator" and not the "meme manipulator"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users