• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 cgarza

cgarza

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

So this morning I got an email from Spotify, saying that the first song from Act IV was up.
Personally I like it, it's a full 9 minutes and has a bit of all the Acts and the Color Spectrum mixed together.
What do you guys think, yay or nay?

#2 Antone

Antone

An Expensive Whore At The Dime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:TDH and all things related, Wisconsin sports, good drinks, and good people.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

I think it's freaking awesome! I've only listened to it 10 or so times though.
Posted Image

#3 spartian995

spartian995

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

Does anyone else feel this song almost PERFECTLY represents the Act sound of TDH? Like from the hard intro, to that chorus, to the orchestral movements toward the end...it is probably my go to song to show people TDH now

#4 cgarza

cgarza

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:29 PM

Not just the Acts sound in general, but IV specifically, The way she brought back melodies from the previous Acts.

#5 blearious

blearious

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

This song is like a warm hug wrapped around three of my favorite Dear Hunter songs. I nearly slipped into a catatonic state when "Untitled 1" kicked in.

#6 sizeablescars

sizeablescars

You can't be caught red handed if you have no hands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:48 PM

I like how he changed "you were in the wrong place at the right time" to "I was in the wrong place at the right time". I feel like the song might be him reconnecting with Ms. Leading talking about how crazy the war is. Probably tryna get his dick wet too after that WW1 sausagefest.

#7 sweet-naivete

sweet-naivete

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:milk steak, boiling denim, little green ghouls

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

I think it's fantastic. Definitely one of my favorites ever. Encompasses everything I love about The Dear Hunter. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW ALBUM! Already pre-ordered :)

#8 cgarza

cgarza

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

I think the first two Acts are going to play a big part in this album. I feel like he will reconnect with Ms. Leading but as the identity of the Son, which he stole at the end of Act III.

#9 DerekAdams32

DerekAdams32

Oh, What A Terrible, Terrible Game He Plays!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Scary Movies, Strategy Games

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

I can pretty much guarantee that this is my favorite song off Act IV.
Act I -- City Escape.
Act II -- The Procession.
Act III -- In Cauda Venenum

It's always the hype song.
Posted Image

#10 TeleuteDPu

TeleuteDPu

Believe What You're Led To Believe

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

The bassoon part at the end has such an eerie connection to Wait. I hate how long this is going to take to come out...GAH!

#11 Vincent

Vincent

Fell In Another Hole FORTHEKNIFEFORTHEKNIFE!!!

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

POPULAR

Since they are scattered amongt several posts/threads, let's compile the reprises we've figured out so far in this song:

--Untitled 1 (whether it's a reprise or its official debut, still TBD)
--In Cada Venenum melody "we've never been so excited to see--" played on guitar before 2nd verse
--"We lost what we had, then took it back" --> Act III lyric motifs, What It Means to Be Alone "now everything you thought you had you lost", Saved "everything you thought you lost you had", This Beautiful Life "in the end we can say that with these hands we took it all back", Father "now everything we've ever had is here for us"
--Bitter Suite I (sidebar: "mimicking the patriarch, she's naive" . . . will he 'take care' of her like he did the Father?)
--Mustard Gas piano melody
--Wait melody on woodwinds at end (assumedly)

EDIT: I originally refrained from posting the below, because it's entirely speculation, but I'll add them just for discussion's sake--
"What will I see tonight?" -- perhaps LATR answers "Wait to see what you're meant to see"
"veil of delicate deceit" -- perhaps LATR foreshadows with "The veil lifts when you expose your soul," potentially referring to how the Boy will blow his own ruse

Edited by Vincent, 17 June 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#12 dbr

dbr

A Common Whore At The Dime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

I really like it. I've listened to it several times, and I am right now.

I noticed that it's the longest song on the album. I thought releasing the longest song first was interesting.

#13 robholding

robholding

Heart Throb Holding

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Interests:playing guitar and piano, gaming, films, reading. The usual, really. Oh, and physics. I like physics lots.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

http://www.reddit.co...rical_analysis/

Casey joined in on this thread regarding lyrics for the new song.

#14 cgarza

cgarza

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Here's the track list and more info on Act IV.
Bitter Suites IV, V, VI!!!!

The Dear Hunter Release “A Night on the Town,” Act IV Details, AND Announce Tour with CHON and Gates | Heavy Blog Is Heavy

#15 lolokaust

lolokaust

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

At last, the big sound returns. Really excited. Hope they play some of this stuff on the UK tour.
Propagandafuhrer!

#16 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

View Postcgarza, on 17 June 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

The tracklist leaked almost a week ago now - check out the Act IV thread for discussion etc

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#17 stretts

stretts

GET YOUR TWO STEP ON!

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts
  • Interests:You, dear.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostVincent, on 17 June 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Since they are scattered amongt several posts/threads, let's compile the reprises we've figured out so far in this song:

--In Cada Venenum melody "we've never been so excited to see--" played on guitar before 2nd verse
--"We lost what we had, then took it back" --> Act III lyric motifs, What It Means to Be Alone "now everything you thought you had you lost", Saved "everything you thought you lost you had", This Beautiful Life "in the end we can say that with these hands we took it all back", Father "now everything we've ever had is here for us"
--Bitter Suite I (sidebar: "mimicking the patriarch, she's naive" . . . will he 'take care' of her like he did the Father?)

EDIT: I originally refrained from posting the below, because it's entirely speculation, but I'll add them just for discussion's sake--
"What will I see tonight?" -- perhaps LATR answers "Wait to see what you're meant to see"
"veil of delicate deceit" -- perhaps LATR foreshadows with "The veil lifts when you expose your soul," potentially referring to how the Boy will blow his own ruse

Someone on AbsolutePunk claims he can hear Poison Woman at the end too, *mental note to verify this later on*

Fearless leader of Stretts' Bitches and Tits

Last.FM

#18 Atticus

Atticus

The One Who Didn't Fold

• Regulars
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:30 PM

My interpretation (rough sketch): "A Night on the Town" means that our protagonist was probably drinking. So the first half of the song is him exchanging dialogue with whoever, and as the night goes on, he ends up drinking a lot and ends up passed out somewhere. At which point, old memories and emotions come to haunt him (what happens when you drink), which is why Bitter suite I and mustard gas both come up- he remembers the first time he was in love, and the most terrifying moment of his life (when he most thought he would die, probably).

I love the reprisals, they really do seem to fit perfectly. The Bitter suite one is especially gorgeous. I'm so excited for this album; the wait for September is going to hurt.
"Sometimes it's hard to know what's real when you're not"

-Act V, "The Revival"

#19 robholding

robholding

Heart Throb Holding

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Interests:playing guitar and piano, gaming, films, reading. The usual, really. Oh, and physics. I like physics lots.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

I keep telling myself I won't listen to this song too much so it won't stand out as "oh yeah, this is the song I know" when I listen through the album. I can't stop listening to it. I've got a problem. Help.

#20 Cal

Cal

i can't control my niggaz, and my niggaz can't control m

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:crying and listening to bthats

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

View Poststretts, on 17 June 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostVincent, on 17 June 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Someone on AbsolutePunk claims he can hear Poison Woman at the end too, *mental note to verify this latr on*

this track seems like latr part 2 basically lol

inb4 SHE WILL FEED YOU TOMATOES AND RADIO WIRES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users