• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MorganKarleyM

MorganKarleyM

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hello! I am a rather new fan but after first listening to Act IV, I became quite obsessed. I decided to develop my analysis of the acts and I'd love if some of you lovely people checked it out. Much love to this community, you guys are great <3

Attached Files

#2 JohnTheMigrant

JohnTheMigrant

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Really diggin' your perspective! I can find no real fault with your logic—mind you, I have only read it once, enjoying it freely rather than critically, but it seems sound to me! Gave me a fresh, better perspective regarding some songs that I interpreted differently (and most likely inaccurately). How long did that take to write? It is very thorough (if not without some sins to formatting ;) ).

#3 MorganKarleyM

MorganKarleyM

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

I've never considered myself much of a writer, I'm sure many such "sins of formatting" exist :)
It took me about two and a half months. I would often listen to the acts during my workouts and jot down notes and then between classes write what I could. I keep finding more little things in the music but decided I had to stop (for now) somewhere. It's quite distracting from studying for finals :P

#4 JohnTheMigrant

JohnTheMigrant

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:22 AM

You are forgiven ;)

Now that is dedication! I'm assuming that you only discovered in the last few months? While I have lyrical revelations every so often, I often find myself hearing layers of sound that I'd never noticed before. I really love Casey's mind for production. I'd be interested in knowing how accurate your analysis really is, and if he really thought that far ahead—and that deeply—for the story.

Finals. You poor soul. What are you studying?

#5 JohnTheMigrant

JohnTheMigrant

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:50 AM

Actually, now that I remember:

In 'The Bitter Suite V', the chorus says, "Don't you tread to close to the line this time! Don't get lead to close to the light this time! You went far to close to the line this time—line this time!" I assumed that was the Pimp speaking generally to the congregation, as in 'not to cross the line of sin' or they'll need to repent (requiring recompense).

#6 MorganKarleyM

MorganKarleyM

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

Yes, one of my professors played "A Night On The Town" and I listened to Act IV after that... then abruptly downloaded the rest of the albums and started reading up on theories. I think what started the paper is I saw someone's theory that I disagreed with and then wanted to "prove" my findings. Then it snowballed into wanting to find everything I could.

I'm double majoring in music and business. I want to work in management and/or marketing of recording studios or the artists themselves.

I think I might somewhat agree with you for 'The Bitter Suite V', however, doesn't The Pimp and The Priest want the congregation to keep on sinning? So they have to pay for it? Maybe he's saying don't let the idea of religion actually correct your morals? "don't get led too close to the light this time" could mean "just make sure you don't actually start acting like a good Christian..."

#7 JohnTheMigrant

JohnTheMigrant

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

You definitely went all out, ha hah. You must have scoured through every interview imaginable. Has your prof known them long?

Nice! Where are you doing this? I'm currently taking music in Nelson, BC, Canada.

To me, it feels like it could be the Priest's sarcastic monologue or words from the Oracles. That feels like it would be most appropriate.

#8 MorganKarleyM

MorganKarleyM

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

Haha I went through as many reddit pages that Casey commented on as I could. Kinda creeped a lot...
I think my prof has known about them since Act III. If only he had played them in class earlier!

I go to the University of Rochester in NY.

Yes, I could definitely see that. I was originally leaning towards The Oracles.

#9 JohnTheMigrant

JohnTheMigrant

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

Casey is my man-crush; I completely understand the desire, ha hah.

I remember chancing upon Act I & II, many, many years ago, while I was browsing through iTunes. Still have yet to find an artist (I also listen to one other band that's as cool as Casey's, but in a different way) that matches his creativity and variety.

How is the music scene in New York? Still kickin'?

I hope they finish at least Act V before doing another project. Seriously. Mind you, all the experience he gained from The Color Spectrum, Amour & Attrition, and even Migrant, is what allowed Act IV to mature into what it is... ah, the conflict.

#10 twotimesthedime

twotimesthedime

Plagued By Practical And A Mercenary Lust

• Regulars
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Screenwriting. Art. Ukulele. Enjoying life one adventure at a time.

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:41 PM

That. That was an amazing read, and I don't think I saw any flaws in your theories. While I've already known a lot of the storyline due to copious amounts of my own creeping, I loved that there were still things I had never even considered before, so, well done!
Posted Image
_The leaves and the trees remember me_

#11 MorganKarleyM

MorganKarleyM

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Ooo what's the name of the band?
And, unfortunately, I'm about 5 hours from NYC so we don't get to benefit from the music scene. I hope to intern in either NYC or Nashville though this summer.

And absolutely! Now I'm finally giving myself the time to go through the rest of the Dear Hunter catalog and when I listen to certain songs from The Color Spectrum I'm like, "Oooh now I see where the shift happened. This is where these elements developed."

And thank you twotimesthedime :)

#12 JohnTheMigrant

JohnTheMigrant

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

Kings Kaleidoscope—strangely enough, it's actually 'church' music with an alternative, R&B, and orchestral flavor, all mixed into one. Here's a link to their music video:

Kings Kaleidoscope - Dreams

Also, another really great band is The Reign of Kindo. They're, like... 'grunge jazz', ha hah. Really creative.

Nice! Do you have any places in mind? What would you hope to do as an intern?

I definitely wouldn't mind another symphony. Just sayin'. Something beautiful to listen to while I prepare for my finals...

#13 MorganKarleyM

MorganKarleyM

n00b or lurker?

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

Alright, so I put on a bunch of Kings Kaleidoscope songs on while I was studying... I dig it! However, unfortunately I become less interested when I listen to the lyrics..
And I just started listening to some Reign of Kindo. Wow, I think I found a new favorite band. What did they do, find a jazz drummer and pianist and an alternative/rock singer?

I've been applying to everywhere... but most companies won't get serious about applicants until around February. And since this will be my first music internship I am very open as long as it involves marketing or management of some sort.

How are finals going? Also, what instrument(s) do you play?

#14 Mickey

Mickey

Son, Don't Be Afraid To Call On Those Who Love You Most.

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:The Dear Hunter, video games and vinyl.

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

I knew that I was sensing people talking about The Reign of Kindo.

Also tagged with analysis, act i, act ii, act iii, act iv, casey, the boy, reprises, story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users